• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Oyster Shell &/or Limestone Flour

Jon Whelan

Further to the paste link, as mentioned I use oyster shell/limestone to counterbalance buoyant ingredients used in my boilie mix, to increase leakage & to add crunch factor. Presently, my inclusion rate varies up to 15% of the mix.

Looking to increase the mass to limit the effect of flow as well as altering the shape & size of the bait.

Has anyone used greater quantities & other than binding, are there any other thoughts that I could/should consider?

Many thanks,

Jon

Personally I'd prefer to adjust the level of buoyant material rather than introduce inert, material with pretty much nil nutritional value. Same goes for texture.

But thats just me, I'm no bait guru and fish the (mostly) sluggish lower Severn...

Though I do appreciate that the buoyant ingredients are no doubt there for very good reason...

Last edited:
Thanks & fair comment Darren. I have been considering this/your point for a while too. Before I do this tho, I am open to any suggestions in the opposite direction as well?!?

I never get time to establish/prebait the bait. It is a mixture of mainly fishmeals, some crushed bird foods & milk proteins. Principle based mainly on HNV with a good dose of liquid attractants.

I like the texture the oyster shell gives & relatively speaking, volume wise compared the remainder of the mix it's so proportionally small.

Cheers, Jon

PS I work on the principle of less bait/boilies is better i.e. let the bait, not quantity pull the fish into ones swim

Why not use extra proprtion of denser food ingredients such as 30 mesh Acid Casein?

I have never used Casien before - thanks Darryl. I will look into this. Any other recommendation re denser ingredients appreciated. Admittedly, the nature of most of my ingredients they are on the lighter side

Thanks Mike - a bit of the old school. I have used this in the distant past too!

I would consider, but after using oyster shell, its ease of use & the price the oyster shell makes life somewhat simpler. It is a little bit denser too.

Cheers, Jon

Back