• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Owner Super Cut Braid Scissors by Chris Netto (Felix333)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Owner Super Cut Braid Scissors by Chris Netto (Felix333)

Introduction

I only started using braid hooklengths last year and particularly love the limpness and camouflage aspect of the Drennan sink braid I use. The one thing I hated was not having a pair of scissors that would cut through the braid cleanly.

I don't know about you but I have many different types of scissors at home, yet none seemed to cut through braid very well, even when it was pulled taut over the blades - and as for cutting it when limp, the phrase 'not a snowballs chance in hell' comes to mind. As a result I was left with fluffy bits of braid at the ends of my hook links which just seemed untidy, and would not go through hook eyes that easily. These fluffy ends also tangled and separated very easily, which meant a lowering of confidence.

With that in mind I was interested to read the quick news item in CF magazine (April issue?) which covered the Owner Braid scissors which 'even cut limp braid' and promptly tried to get a pair from Harrisons. Unfortunately they had sold out and I had to wait some weeks.

The Friday before the May Day bank holiday I called Harrisons and was delighted to learn that 600 pairs had been shipped over to the distributor and the Tuesday after I placed my order.

I could wax lyrical and pad out this short review even more but it suffices to say that in the words of a famous ad, "It does exactly what it says on the can!"

The scissors come in a neoprene guard sleeve which has a handy loop to fix a lanyard. They are about four inches from point to end which means they are compact and should fit a normal tackle box. They are made from surgical steel, so I imagine could be sharpened if they eventually loose their edge.

scissors1.jpg

Owner Super Cut Braid Scissors

In Operation

6lb, 8lb, 10lb and 15lb Drennan posed no problems taut or slack, and it had the same effectiveness on 30lb Spider wire. A very clean, first time cut every time.

Being extremely picky the only thing I could find to criticise the product was that a stronger tip guard would have helped safety, as the scissors are very sharp, and they could push through the neoprene if you are very unlucky. But it is a minor quibble and the pictures should cover all the salient points .

In my last review I ended on a question which asked if I would buy them again - the answer is I already have - just in case I loose the first pair and the distributors are sold out again.

scissors2.jpg

Scissors - With The Supplied Case

The scissors retail for £12.00 - not cheap but worth it Leslies of Luton - 01582 453542 (or Harrisons)

Effectiveness 10/10

Value for money 9/10

Chris Netto (Felix333)

May 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back