• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Over 500 members now registered!

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone,

We have now gone over 500 users registered on this new version of the BFW forums :) That's in less than a month, at the quietest time of the year, when few of us are on the bank much!

As a result, we've already raised over £400 for our nominated charities :)

Many thanks to all of you who have got involved already, and for giving the new forum such a positive start.

Regards,

Andy F

Hi Andy,

Congratulations, it's all going really well, you must be happy.

A little feedback for what it's worth; It would be nice to have a members only area besides the river reports where we could discuss sensitive matters amongst the known membership without the world knowing, what do you think??

Ian, not positive but i think the river reports are private and only available to members already ?

They are Kev, but I mean we could have a Barbel Talk or maybe "Members Talk" section which is private also....where we could discuss things other than river specific......

Hi all,

This has been suggested before, and I know some of the BFW team are keen.

Personally, I'm against having a members only area as I think most discussion would gradually end up there, making the main message board (this one) redundant. The site would then appear a closed shop to people who find the site, though who aren't yet members, and as a result new memberships would slow down. I think it's important for non members to see that the forum is a civilised place where everyone is welcome. Just my confused thoughts, more views always welcome.

Cheers,

Andy F

I've seen similar where a chat box has been set up on forums, everything ends up there and nothing gets posted on the boards eventually killing the forum.

Hi Andy & all,
Congratulations to all on the first 500.

I agree with all that has been done and particularly the use of real names. This however will cause me a bit of a problem when it comes to reporting catches etc. I was able to hide behind a pseudonim when posting, which was essential as my main fishing areas on the Trent are strictly no publicity.

Therefore when it comes to the river section I will have to become a lurker, which is a shame. I do agree that the new format has made the forum more civilised.

Best fishes,
Bob
(Morphed from Barbusbob)

Hi Andy & all,
Congratulations to all on the first 500.

I agree with all that has been done and particularly the use of real names. This however will cause me a bit of a problem when it comes to reporting catches etc. I was able to hide behind a pseudonim when posting, which was essential as my main fishing areas on the Trent are strictly no publicity.

Therefore when it comes to the river section I will have to become a lurker, which is a shame. I do agree that the new format has made the forum more civilised.

Best fishes,
Bob
(Morphed from Barbusbob)

Surely you can mention that I caught x number of barbel on the Trent today? No one would know where on the Trent and only people who know you personally would know the stretches that you fish. You would probably exchange emails, texts or phone calls with personal friends anyway. I am a member of a few places with a publicity ban and so far have not been ask to desist in my posting, except on the Dearne but that's for special people.

Andy I think that the new site is great and I am very happy with the format, well done and thank you.

Conrad

Conrad,
I take your point, but I wouldn't wish to take any risks that my jeopardise my fishing.

8 years ago I posted a tale of a captured 15 pounder on another site. It did not in any way identify the stretch or the area from where it was caught. Someone who knew where usually I fished replied to the post and suggested that he knew the spot & the person that the tale was about, & identified both. It very nearly cost me my book. I will not risk that happening again!

Yours,
Reluctantly lurking,
Bob

Andy, i too think that keeping the forum open to all to veiw is a good thing long term, after all the basic recipe for BFW proved to be popular with everyone, yes the need for real names become almost vital but the rest of
the steering was great:)....j.w

why fix something that works well

Back