• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Optibaits

Chris Thomson

Hi , anyone who uses milk protein mixes might be interested in Optibaits , they do a milk protein mix called Hydromilk which is a more advanced mix of John Bakers Supermilk , much more souluble and contains yeast and other active ingredients , not cheap but Sam Barley who runs it certainly knows his stuff regarding the more technical side of bait , just a heads up to those who take a scientific interest in bait and who have deep pockets !

Hi men,

I listened to Sam's podcast , goes into great depth , greater depth than I need to know so picking some of his stuff you know he has researched it . I like brocacel , used it as a dusting , but loved it in my baits , and his yeast powder seems a step up so when I go back down that route will be buying some , certainly attractive to barbel.

Hatter

Hi , anyone who uses milk protein mixes might be interested in Optibaits , they do a milk protein mix called Hydromilk which is a more advanced mix of John Bakers Supermilk , much more souluble and contains yeast and other active ingredients , not cheap but Sam Barley who runs it certainly knows his stuff regarding the more technical side of bait , just a heads up to those who take a scientific interest in bait and who have deep pockets !
Still £1 cheaper than supermilk 🙂 and has the option to save even more by buying in 5kilo amount.
May give it a go

Baker used to make a Supermilk Gold didn't he?
Bit of an issue making baits more soluble as in my experience you affect the binding qualities. Some baiting experiments have been an absolute disaster with solubility - makes me chuckle now, but the memories are etched.

Hi men

Voodoo is made for what barbel anglers need , he is confident it's an all year round mix , and when you look at the small range of ingredients he supplies you can add liquid / powder as a dusting . Glm or the yeast with the liquid yeast all look a winner . Interesting subject , I took my eye off the ball when I got onto Grange pre release and was driving to Mainline HQ to pick up base mixes , ready rolled and liquids . Gave up rolling grange other than hookbaits as it was so devastating, and it saved many hours in the garage 😁.

Shame as I was right into my own baits , through the need really as that's how it was in 80s/90s , and my sickly butter / rum& raisin served me well.

Hatter

Back