• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Opinion wanted -- Greys Prodigy Barbel TXL

Dear all,

I am looking for opinions on the Greys Prodigy Barbel TXL rod:

I am looking for a rod that can serve multiple purposes (feeder fishing, barbel fishing of course and light carping). I am fishing German and French rivers that tend to have quite a strong stream and carp tend to get slightly bigger than in the UK as everybody knows. That's why I opted for 1.75 TC. Also, I am looking for something rather compact (explaining the 3 piece rod but would have loved a 4 piece rod as well), with both avon top and a top with exchangeable quiver tips. That's s how I lended on the prodigy.

For the greys users could you tell me your opinion and if you would recommend it? What are the pros / cons?

For people offering alternatives, I can already tell I checked the JW Young barbel multi tip and this rod cannot be purchased anymore anywhere unfortunately.

Thank you all in advance and have a lovely evening.

Best wishes,

Mathieu

Just looked at the Greys Prodigy Barbel TXL on Angling Direct. Looks like its packed length is that of a two piece rod, so not really "compact" in travel rod way. All the feedback looked good, might be interested myself if they still had them in stock!

Hi Mathieu,
Personally I think you want something a bit heavier, Clive Shipman has a pair of Bob James 2.25lb TC Travel Rods for sale on here. Might be worthy of your consideration. Check out “Fishing Classiieds”
Regards
Bill

If 'strong stream' fishing for carp that are larger than in the UK I think you'll be struggling with 1.75lb TC rods. I generally use 2lb TC rods for UK river barbel (sometimes 1.75lb rods) and they're pushed at times.

Whilst you may land big fish on lighter rods, chances are the fish will be completely knackered by the time you land them and that's not great for them really 👍 I think one rod that covers general feeder fishing right up to large river carp might be an ask too far.

Thanks for all the answers their are all pretty useful.

@Rob you must be right that I am asking for too much and should rather split in barbel/light carping and feeder fishing on the other end.

Probably the best option is something along the lines of what Bill proposed. A set of travel rods of about 2 lb TC.

Are they some model that people particularly recommend? (The ones on sale seem a little too pricy if I understood correctly 250 a piece is a bit too much for my wallet).

I think it’s £250 for the pair but notice you’ve asked for confirmation. I also think Clive might have had an offer as he’s had a PM (see thread)...Fingers crossed for you if you are interested.
Regards
Bill

For what it is worth I bought a Korum 12 foot 1.75lb tc two piece barbel quiver tip rod last year. It was the one that was rated to cast 150g feeders. I fished with it six times and on each occassion landed carp, all in the mid to high teens plus a 9lb barbel. The rod had bags of power and was able to stop fish getting into snags. I had loads of confidence in it. Then on the seventh outing it snapped first cast whilst I was gently lobbing a 30g plus bait feeder out. Snapped just below the quiver tip section. No idea why. Pointless trying to get a French supplier to honour any guarantee so it is now a 'for spares' kit.

I have gone back to my old faithful Shimano Barbel Purist 2lb tc rod which is over-gunned for French barbel as they don't run to UK weights, but handy when a rogue carp comes along. The carp average 15lb - 25lb and have a habit of sharing the larger barbel's locations.

If I were choosing a rod specifically for barbel in the French rivers that I fish; Charente, Vienne, Dordogne and Lot I would opt for a 1.5lb tc, or a 1.75lb tc if it involved chucking heavier feeders than the lighter rod could manage. In my fishing there is no need for 6oz feeders cast to mid-river in 14 foot of water. It is mostly done closer in and the barbel rarely exceed 5lb even when you specifically target larger fish. It will be different up north on the Seine system or Rhone, but for the most parts of France a 1.5lb tc barbel rod will suffice as long as you don't want it to double up for carp.

If the 'travel rod' is an essential I'd look to the game fishing sector. Virtually all fly rods are now 4 piece and spinning rods probably 70%.
I recently got a 15-60g Sakura 9' 4 piece for Salmon fishing and I'd feel confident of landing anything that swims in Britain on it. Would make short work of any Barbel or CARP. Casts no3 mepps easily right up to well over 2 oz. £75.
Harrison do an 11' 4 piece. 1.5lb tc IIRC.
Might find one.

I’ve got a pair of them greys 11ft 1lb Tc rods there nice rods but it’s quite comical that there stated at 1lb Tc there much more then that I’d say at least 1.75lb

Back