• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

OPENING WEEK - 2003 Bby Mike Berridge (BARBULE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles

Super Moderator
Staff member
OPENING WEEK - 2003

Bby Mike Berridge (BARBULE)​

I am sitting at "The Bibins" on the banks of the River Wye in the Forest of Dean. This will be the scene of the bfw "Fish In" next month.

It is 6 o’clock in the evening, Wednesday 18th June. I am all alone contemplating the opening 3 days of the 2003 season, packed and ready to drive the 220 miles to my home in Yorkshire.

The trip had been arranged for a couple of months and to say I had been looking forward to it was a definite understatement.

The 2 weeks before, Sue my wife had been taken ill and the trip was very much in the balance.

I had hoped to leave on Sunday 15th mainly to get everything set up as I would be camping on the bank. But this had not been possible.

Monday June 16th​

On the opening mid morning I set off (with my wife’s blessing I might add) for the long drive down the motorways to Herefordshire. I caught a quick glimpse of the beautiful River Wye as I passed from the M50 onto the A50 towards Monmouth. The road wound its way over the river 4 or 5 times, before the Symonds Yat slip road came into view. I turned up the narrow road. The memories of seasons past flooded back. The beautiful countryside, the wildlife and most of all, The Barbel!

Then the river came into view. I got my first proper sight of the Wye from the single-track road bridge that crosses the river on the way to Symonds Yat East.

1.jpg

The Bridge on the Symonds Yat road
The streamer weed was thicker than I had ever seen it before. The barbel would have great cover when they slip out into the flow to feed. As I drove down off the bridge I at last saw the Valley. Its steep sides covered by the Sycamores. Green everywhere. From the river at the bottom to the blue sky above.

Very different from the last time I was here when the trees were devoid of their leaves and all you could see were the bare tree trunks. Then the deer could plainly be seen making their way to the top of the hills chased by the stags.

Now, all that could be heard was the crashing of the branches as they battered their way through to the top under the cover of the leaves.

As I followed the course of the river to the village I saw another sight from the past. "The Saracens Head".

2.jpg

Many late nights and early mornings had been spent here sampling the fine ales and even finer "Fare"

3.jpg

The view from outside the "Saracens’ head"

I approached the entrance, (as Rayo calls it "Jurassic Park") the gate had been left unlocked for me. No mobile phone signal in here. No contact with the outside world once you are inside the gate. This is why you have to go to the pub to ring home! I drove down the track, it’s every bump and hollow brought back wonderful memories of days gone by.

4.jpg

"Jurassic Park"​

I arrived at "The Meadow" where we were camping. I could see Ray (bfw Rayo) and Steve (bfw Silk) stood in the river fishing and chatting to there hearts content. As they heard the car draw up they quickly climbed the bank. Handshakes and back slaps abound.

5.jpg

Ray and Steve​

Then a new face; "JW" (bfw thisisjohn). He and I have talked many times on PC and phone but you would think we had known each other since boyhood days the way we greeted each other.

JW had driven from London during the night and looked absolutely shattered. A quick 20 minutes helping me empty the car and he was asleep on the grass with a log for a pillow!

6.jpg

You can just make JW out in the background!​

I set up the camp. Bivvy, beds, sleeping bags, rods, tripod, landing net, seat, bait and most important The Kitchen!

JW had woken from his slumber to the sound of the kettle whistling its cheery tune.

Ray and Steve had both had fish in the morning but no barbel.

The Wye is a notoriously slow starter so we were not expecting too much over the next 3 days.

How wrong we were!

It was now 3 in the afternoon and I decided to put some feed in over towards the far bank. This would be topped up at regular intervals over the next 3 days. I waded across through the thick streamer weed. Pellets and Hemp went in. After, I sat on the top of the bank just taking in the beautiful surroundings and putting the finishing touches to my fishing gear.

A Buzzard soared overhead. We will see it every day, always being teased by the Crows, and if we are lucky we may see the famous Peregrine Falcons of Yat Rock.

As the afternoon rolls by Ray had 2 barbel and Steve 1, the biggest goes 5lbs. Not big fish but always welcome.

A few more bfw regulars drop by. Paul (Tommo), Martin (Shieze) and Steve (Juninho).

Steve congratulated me on Man Utd winning the title and we discuss how the "Boro" will try to keep Mclaren from going to Old Trafford. Then they moved on to pastures new to try and winkle out a few barbel.

It was 5.30, the temp 75oF the water 68 oF. Rods are sorted and my tripod and the rest of my gear were set up in the river upstream of Ray and Steve. My first cast was at 6 o’clock. A couple of pellets with an open-ended feeder attached flew their way across to within a couple of yards of the far bank. I fished one rod as it was only a short session. At 6.15 the rod pulled down and I was into a fish. I knew instantly it was a barbel. The fish tore off down stream stripping the braid from my reel - the clutch screaming. After fighting its way in and out of the streamer weed Steve finally slipped the net underneath a superb fish. It was weighed, photographed, admired and returned quickly to glide its way back to its haunt.

7.jpg

At 8lbs 8ounces it is my biggest Wye fish and my first ever fish on opening day. You can see from the smile how happy it made me. I decided not to fish on as I was overwhelmed by the shear beauty and colour of the barbel . We all retired to the "Saracens" for a well-earned pint and some food.

JW had to head back so he carried on past the pub and onto the motorway to London and work. Such a nice man.

8.jpg

The view from outside The Saracens Head​

It was a "barmy" night, very mild and humid. We sat outside the pub putting the world to rights.

After a superb meal, too many beers and lots of barbel talk, the 3 of us headed back to the camp and our beds.

Steve and I talked for what seemed like an age, mainly about nothing and then dreamt of tomorrow and the barbel we hoped would grace our nets.

Tuesday June 17th​

During the darkness we listened to every kind of wildlife imaginable including the "Screech Owls" fighting for territory, the woodpeckers looking for grubs and some noises round the bivvy that I dare not think about.

0500. Rayo woke early. He had a hangover! The kettle was soon singing its happy tune and a welcome "cuppa" was in our hands.

We decided to fish early but to no avail, in my peg anyway. Rayo had a couple of eels and a few small fish all on the caster and Silk a couple of small chublets and dace.

At 0830 I returned from ringing Sue, she is much better, so I can relax and fish on now with no worries.

I decided to start on my infamous breakfast for them both and by 0930 we were tucking into a proper "Yorkshire" Brekkie.

Rayos’ usually quip "I’ll never eat all that" was heard again, but he did, along with half a loaf of bread and 2 mugs of tea!

Silk seemed to enjoy his as no words were spoken until his plate was clean!

We resumed our fishing and at 11.30, my 1st fish of the day, a 3 lb bar of gold with bright orange fins came to the net. 3 more in the next 2 hours follow. We all caught at a steady rate.

Tommo turned up with another new face Wayne, who promptly caught his 1st ever barbel. Paul did his usual trick and ended up with just a "Butt" section to hold as his new "Barbel" rod broke in half when snagged up!

He did end up with a barbel on one of my GTI’s, so all was not lost!

By 7oClock I had had 8 barbel up to 5lbs. My best haul ever. Ray had 7 and beat my biggest fish with an 8lb 14oz beauty.

Silk went off mid afternoon to try out his new 18ft float rod and promptly had 6, the biggest going 7lb2oz.

Steve (Juninho) joined us mid afternoon and he had 4 fish.

It was a very hot day with bright sunshine clear skies and the temp soaring to 85oF. Not conducive to good fishing at all.

Ray, Steve and I again retired to the "Saracens" and put the world to rights as all good fishermen do!

Work called Silk, so no hangover for him tomorrow!

Wednesday June 18th​

The morning brought a completely new aspect to the fishing. The wind was blowing and the cloud blocked out the sunshine of the previous 2 days.

We had a couple of hours from 0530. I struggled, Ray brought in 3 chub, biggest 4 1/2lbs and a couple of eels to the net.

After breakfast we resumed our attack on the barbell. The wind had dropped and we looked forward to our fishing in more favourable conditions. But as everyone knows these things never go according to plan and we struggled all day to locate the fish. Ray ended up with 2 and I managed to "dink" him again with 3.

I also set a new record on the Wye my 1st eel!

9.jpg

Just a "little un"​

Just as we were packing up these turn up!!!

10.jpg

Llama Trekking?
We all said our goodbyes and look forward to next months "FISH IN".

Ray left me as he has to get back home. Today is his partner Linda’s birthday!

I reflect on the last 3 days:

8 barbel in 1 session,

My biggest Wye fish,

My 1st Wye eel.

Over 40 barbel between us in the opening 3 days of the season.

What a start! The best opening to a season I have ever had.

Acknowledgments;

Photos

Steve James. steve@global-positioning.com

Ray Ellis. EBarbel1@aol.com

Mike Berridge. barbel@hull24.com

Thanks go to:

Rayo

Silk

JW

Tommo

Wayne

Juninho