• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Old rod identity

Steve Roffey

I'm just stripping down an old traditional 3-piece Avon rod to replace the rusty rings and rewhip it. Under the whipping above the handle I have found a gold label with the following on it:-

J. W. SOU..WELL
Fishing Tac...............
36 Station Road

Unfortunately the rest of the writing on the label is illegible, just wondered if any of you could help with identifying the maker?

edit: thanks Mic, under a glass it does look like 36 Station Road

Last edited:
I think J W Southwell, once built rods at The Creel in Aldershot Hants, I think their address is 36 Station rd but may have changed over time. Probably incorrect but I have a memory of Southwell building the later Richard Walker mk iv`s there. My memory is not the best and I may have muddled some of the info up, I`m sure other minds greater than mine will put you right. What I do know is that Mick Borra at the Creel does have quite a bit of the original rod building paraphenalia including cane blanks, rings, silks etc at least he did a couple of years ago.

Mic

Mic

I think you are correct. Will see if I can find out more. Bob Southwell, as you may know, supplied many of the original made up blanks for B James and Son.

Steve
Don't destroy or remove that label. Adds loads to the value and authenticity.

What a find anyway

Mike

From what little I have found on the web Bob Southwell was based in Croydon, not Aldershot? The two split cane sections of the rod are very dark in colour compared to other split cane rods I have, I did find reference to Bob Southwell kiln baking his cane, would that explain the darker colour?

As I said in my first post the label was under a whipping, most of it came away with the whipping hence the gaps in the writing.

Steve,

I believe there was a connection between the Croydon shop and The Creel, again my memory is bad but I`m sure Dave Steuart had some thing to do with both shops. "Bob" Southwell also had a tie in with Dave Steuart so it wouldn`t be beyond the realms of possibility that the rod could be something to do with the creel.

Btw, I`m gutted I missed your slide show Mike, will you be doing another?

Mic

Steve, you may have more luck if you post this question over on Purepiscator — http://www.purepiscator.com/default.aspx
There are lots of very knowledgeable chaps over there, some of whom look in over here from time to time. Nearly all of them are cane buffs and I'm sure someone on PP will be able to give you some more info.

Bob Southwell's own brand rods were sold under the brand name of "The Captain" of Croydon. They are very sort after and get good money. Obviously the label is all important so mask what's left of it up very well before you strip it down.

Good luck with it.

Hello Mike:) as always a mine of info freely given, Whats all this about talk shows? i,ll have to beg a ticket once the weather breaks, incidently hows that writing mission going mate?:)

Trust your well John and taking things easy. Always welcome as you know, will PM next one [if there is one].
Keep getting sidetracked on the book with my second 'job' as taxi driver for the kids, what with James at the Magic Circle/ shows and Danni's Film shoots I hardly get time for fishing certainly not the four times a week back in the Savay days.

Take care

Mike

Haydn, the Pure Piscator site and it's successor piscatoribus both appear to be inactive, no postings since mid 2010?

The PP forum is still active. Go to the home page and select "secret swim", on the far right hand side.. This is PP's forum section. The rest is article and interviews, all of which are well worth a read anyhow. Piscatoribus has no active frorum but has one or two updated articles. It was supposed to be a continuation in the PP spirit, but never seemed to get off the ground.

Back