• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Okuma raw 2 centre pin any good for a first centre pin

Danny Payne

As the title says really, I'm looking to try trotting with a pin an like the look of this but wondering if it's any good?

in mechanical terms its a great reel & perfect for a first reel ,as its identical too its predecessors ,but looks wise its got a Fugly paint job that puts a tarnish on it for me at least

It's not my taste, but as you've already said you like the look of it then I'd agree with Steve; It's an Okuma so it will be smooth and well made and a good choice.

I don't know this reel so opinion is clouded of course. But at first sight looking at the pictures (looks like, but may be wrong) it has a caged drum, which means you can't bat the rim, assuming you'd want to. Also, you'd limit your casting methods. But having said that, looking again (at the only image I can find on t'net) maybe not.

It also has bearings which aren't to everybody's taste. It looks 'orrible too, but that's my opinion.

For that price - Google says £149 lowest - I'd get a Fred Crouch Jet, and have change for some line, and a few beers :)

paul4

Danny, if its the one iv,e just looked at for £160.00 quid, you must be mad. For a first pin, to see if you like them or not, check out the Marco Cortesi on Dragoncarp.com for £30.00 plus p&p. Then make your mind up.

Hi Danny

errrrrr, no. Also, I'd seriously consider NOT using one with a line guide/guard.

Boring, boring ;), but have you read "Centerpins and using them, especially for Barbel fishing"?

BFW-style click here

OR

"My style" (web page) click here

I fully appreciate there's a hell of a lot of words, but it's grown out of questions and answers such as yours, on forums and emails alike.

If you were in my neck of the woods I'd lend you a Fred Crouch to try out, but unfortunately I've never even heard of Willenhall (I'm not well travelled, and my sense of direction and navigation skills are legendary :D)

paul4

That's a very good article you've done there Paul, I can see how a line guard could cause problems an get in the way, reading that has made me think wether I will get on with 1 or not, and haven't got anyone to show me the right an wrongs so it's trial and error really and information off here and the net. I think il give the tfg a go without the guard an see how I get on with that as it appears there a bit like marmite!!!:)

Back