• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Okuma Aventa Baitfeeders

Richard Dawson

Finally in stock somewhere in the UK, been hard to get a hold of for a while unless you import.

£75 each, come with fully featured spare spool.

My 6000's replaced some £260 a piece Shimano CI4+ LC Medium Baitrunners.

Avoid the 8000 and 10000 they weigh a ton.

The retrieve on the 6000 is only 71cm is this not a little slow compared to lc bait runners at over 100cm …. or does a slower retrieve help

I've not noticed the Okuma retrieve to be particularly slow. Rather the Shimano retrieve is on the fast side.

A slower retrieve can help avoid the hooklength twisting up but I use coated braid hooklengths most of the time so not an issue for me.

The Shimanos are a very nice reel but not worth the £180 premium over the Okumas for Barbel fishing. For using on big pits (as they were probably intended) the Okumas wouldn't come close.

Hooklength twisting up? Seems unlikely if (as most do) one uses some sort of swivel between the main line and hooklength.

Back