• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

October results

Bob Brookes

Hi folks,
October for me is traditionally the start of predator fishing & of course some good barbel fishing if you get warm rain flowing into the rivers.

So, the first week saw me with the pike, zander & perch gear on the river Trent. Some were caught but in truth they weren't shoaling up like usual for the time of year. They should have been having a right old chew but they just weren't having it. In truth many of my favourite autumn spots were just too shallow or clogged with weed. Basically we are about a month behind and, as I am thinking about this, the sun is shining & it is warm & this is November!

Plan B was called for, so it is back on the barbel attack. The river is running below normal summer level & as clear a chalk stream. It stayed like that for the rest of the month, with the exception of a day or two when it rose a few inches. Little chance of much success but the weather is nice to just be outside. I chose to fish where I had tree cover or a depth of water over their heads, as this may counter the clarity of the water. I don't fish at night so I thought that was important.

I used these principles though the month fishing 7 different swims that fitted the bill. I was careful not to overfish a spot, even if I had a good session. Considering the poor conditions I had the best October's barbel fishing I have had for years. I just 9 day or part day's fishing I caught 52 barbel including several doubles to 11.04 and many 9's that will easily make doubles during the winter. All the fish were pristine like they had been freshly.

The reason for this posting is to ask how the rest of you fared last month. Did I just have a fluke or is your river fishing well despite virtual drought conditions(apologies to those over on the west of the country!)

I am really looking forward to getting stuck into those perch & zander but, until then, I am going to take advantage of this bonanza I am having.

Bob

The reason for this posting is to ask how the rest of you fared last month. Did I just have a fluke or is your river fishing well despite virtual drought conditions(apologies to those over on the west of the country!)

No need to apologise Bob, we have enjoyed the rain in the west! Here's a snippet of October on one of the rivers i fish:

andrew-boyne-albums-other-stuff-picture3105-chartimage%5B1%5D.jpg

andrew-boyne-albums-other-stuff-picture3106-chartimage%5B2%5D-3.jpg

Normal level is around 1.15m. It was a very good month for Barbel fishing!

Apologies to those not living west side!

That is a cracking month for sure. Like you, by October i'm really looking forward to getting the predator rods out and i did spend quite a bit of the month targetting them - with not much success.

I had a couple of barbel sessions on the Tidal Trent in the last couple of days and had 33 to 11lb, mainly in daylight and like you say, they are in prime condition at this time of the year, fought hard and, without exception, went back powerfully. It is a great time for barbel.

I am, however, actually looking forward to some frosts!

I spent most of the month on the North Yorkshire rivers, not many barbel compared to last year but lots of chub. A couple of sessions river/canal piking and only had jacks. Not my best October.

Bob . There are lots of factors to this .For me , October sessions this year on the Yorkshire Ouse 8 ,result 1 barbel , good or bad ? Well on this river it is all dependent on conditions which this October by and large have been poor , either extremely high water bordering on unfishable, to low and cold , so I would see 1 barbel as a result , particularly as it was a big fish. Couple of years ago October , same river, pretty good for barbel , reason conditions were better . As a generalisation Yorkshire rivers tend to gradually tale off in barbel terms as the air temps drop , only really producing in the comparatively rare warm rain / westerlies type situation . Of course success is relative in that 6 barbel from the Trent in a session would be seen by many as poor going , 6 in a session off the Yorkshire Ouse or even the higher density rivers like the Nidd or Swale would be bordering on Nirvana . I had one Y.Ouse year when the river produced only 6 all season . It's all relative, but great to hear you are getting in amongst them

Last edited:
Back