• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

'Nuts' for Carp?

Vince Maddock

Senior Member & Supporter
This is a morals question rather than an actual bait question but I'm curious to here your thoughts.
One of my club waters has some nice carp, 20lb+ which, for the north east, shouldn't be sniffed at. The problem is it's a true mixed fishery, with stocked rainbow Trout which usually spoil my Tench fishing Planning a little go for the Carp but want a bait that the Trout won't take. Thinking of tiger nuts (just hook baits no loose feed), the rules say no nuts, BUT a tiger nut isn't a nut it's a tuber. I know they mean to include tiger nuts in their ruling but they've worded the ruling poorly and I plan to take advantage of that. Thoughts please?

You need to double check with the club first. Many clubs ban nuts but exclude Tiger nuts. But they do need to be prepared properly and if the club do mean to include them then you're going to be in hot water if you get caught. My personal view is that if you deliberately break fishery rules you deserve what you get, and if there are grey areas, double check before going ahead.

You need to double check with the club first. Many clubs ban nuts but exclude Tiger nuts. But they do need to be prepared properly and if the club do mean to include them then you're going to be in hot water if you get caught. My personal view is that if you deliberately break fishery rules you deserve what you get, and if there are grey areas, double check before going ahead.
Thanks for the reply Alex. I've used Tigers for years where allowed and am well versed in preparing them, might even buy some commercial ones to negate the argument that they're a risk.
I fully agree with following the rules but I can only follow the rules that are written down. I'm not going to ask because I know what the answer will be. I'm not sure I'm doing it but the stupid Trout stop me fishing the lake, which is a shame.

I can understand the thinking behind a fishery not wanting anglers to mass bait using tigers, but not the logic in restricting the use of them as a single hookbait.

I didn't know a tiger nut was technically a tuber so I too would be tempted to use them on that basis. I'd maybe contact them first though to check that tuber based baits are allowed 🙂

Better to seek forgiveness than asking for permission? Besides you have a solid argument in that they are not a nut 😊

How about Sweet corn and Sweet potatoes?
Sweetcorn would be a disaster, Trout can't get enough. Never tried sweet potato, although I did fish par boiled potatoes nearly 45 years ago (Mr Crabtee;))
Although I do appreciate the input I'm not really after bait alternatives, just peoples thoughts on following the letter of the rules or the 'spirit of the rules' (if such a thing exists).

Vince

Rules are (usually) there for a reason.

It really annoys me (not just because I run a fishery) that people seek to circumvent rules that were imposed for good reason.

If I was the bailiff and found you using tigers I would Chuck you off; regardless of your semantic excuse. Of course if you check with the club first they might allow tigers. But somehow I doubt it.

Just for the record; tigers are banned on my lake (one of few rules). But if somebody has the brains to ask me, I will let them use a small quantity. The rules are a lowest common denominator approach to stop idiotic anglers abusing the water and the fish.

As far as other baits go, are other non-nut particles banned eg maple peas ? Or try surface fishing……

Rules are (usually) there for a reason.

It really annoys me (not just because I run a fishery) that people seek to circumvent rules that were imposed for good reason.

If I was the bailiff and found you using tigers I would Chuck you off; regardless of your semantic excuse. Of course if you check with the club first they might allow tigers. But somehow I doubt it.

Just for the record; tigers are banned on my lake (one of few rules). But if somebody has the brains to ask me, I will let them use a small quantity. The rules are a lowest common denominator approach to stop idiotic anglers abusing the water and the fish.

As far as other baits go, are other non-nut particles banned eg maple peas ? Or try surface fishing……
To be honest Tim it annoys me when the rules are written down in such a way that they are open to interpretation, I'd rather they were clear, precise, comprehensive and applied to all members.

The complete section of rules for baits reds like this:-

"ALL traditional HOOK BAITS allowed but no nuts, power bait, gels, pastes etc."

A tiger nut is a traditional bait and it's not a nut, so I'm not circumventing the rules I'm following them.
As it turns out I won't be fishing there anytime soon as there's been 4 un explained Carp deaths this week so I'm not going to muddy the waters by using them just now.

I was walking around the lake at lunchtime and the club secretary was there (with the EA investigating the fish deaths) so I asked him and as expected it was a no. So the matter is effectively closed. Thanks for all the opinions.

Vince

To be honest Tim it annoys me when the rules are written down in such a way that they are open to interpretation, I'd rather they were clear, precise, comprehensive and applied to all members.

The complete section of rules for baits reds like this:-

"ALL traditional HOOK BAITS allowed but no nuts, power bait, gels, pastes etc."

A tiger nut is a traditional bait and it's not a nut, so I'm not circumventing the rules I'm following them.
As it turns out I won't be fishing there anytime soon as there's been 4 un explained Carp deaths this week so I'm not going to muddy the waters by using them just now.
I take your point - most club officials are well meaning but stupid !

However most people would agree that tiger nuts are likely to be included in that statement. I didn’t know tigers weren’t actually nuts.

It’s a bit like the definition of lead core - does it include lead free ledcore, safe zone leaders etc etc…..the syndicate I fish says ‘no knots above the lead’ - the only way to solve that ambiguity. Otherwise people just take the p..s.

Back