• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Nut baits for barbel

N

Nick Hay

Anyone had experience with peanuts/tigers etc for barbel. Do they accept them as a food source ?
I was thinking about using tigers to stop the dreaded Crays mullering my boilies:mad:

Any comments appreciated

Thanks,

Nick

Not used the above, but have used a seed particle mix with success during the warmer months, so maybe in conjunction with something similar, why not?

They like Tiger nut boilies, Wouldn't crays have a go at the Nuts as well, Little devils will have a go at anything but Apparently, they don't like garlic.

They like Tiger nut boilies, Wouldn't crays have a go at the Nuts as well, Little devils will have a go at anything but Apparently, they don't like garlic.

They probably will but my thinking is they will last a bit longer than boilies, maybe garlic flavoured nuts is the way forward ;)

read on another forum that some anglers tried them, but with no success,

Try Brazil nuts and some peanut butter as paste, had some impressive catches in lakes and rivers carp seem to love it and barbel leave it alone generally.

The red signal crayfish I encounter on the GUC have no qualms trying to quaff a large cube of garlic Spam :mad:

Stephen

There's no end to the endless quest for the ultimate bait.i remember the days when I went with a gallon of maggots and a tin of meat and caught plenty.i have had a few blanks along the way but meat will never blow
Albert

Unfortunately Albert, meat blows when faced with cray fish.

Nick, 30mm boilies air dried will last for hours even with cray attention.

Thanks guys for all the replies, going to make some specials of my own I think,,,,,,back to my carping days LOL.
Lots of solutions out in the market place for avoiding nuisance/Crays etc was looking for an easy quick fix !

Nick

I've often wondered if Barbel would take them, tried and never had a touch on them......I am led to believe that big Chub are partial to them !?!?
As an aside, do crays take milk protein baits as readily as meaty ones ?? I've never tried them on a river with crays in..........

Unfortunately Albert, meat blows when faced with cray fish.

Nick, 30mm boilies air dried will last for hours even with cray attention.
Thats a good size to start with. give the crays a couple of hours, the boilie would be whittled down to a 10 mm...lol

Tried allsorts of particles, tigers were good for river carp chub and even bream, apparently peanuts are OK for barbel ,but I never used them. Chickpeas work, crays aren,t keen on them, they flavour up/colour up well too, maple peas are good too.
peter

Back