• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

not quite a river report as such....

Neil Partridge

(i've copied n pasted this from else where) but.......................
for those who haven't seen or heard & that might be interested........

SEVERN FISHERIES CONFERENCE
Saturday 19th November 2011
The Valley Hotel, Ironbridge, Shropshire
Is the Severn a shadow of its former self?
This is advance notice of this important conference organised by the Severn Rivers Trust.
The conference is aimed at members of angling clubs and riparian owners on the Severn.
SRT
Please watch the SRT web site for further details.

ill be there, funnilly enough though the severn directly behind the valley hotel
(venue for the do) is virtually devoid of silvers to what it was 3 years+ ago.

where are they all ????????????? :confused:

At a guess, there's a few thousand pounds of fish sitting in those trees alone..... :mad:

Take a look how many trees have been killed by the cormorant droppings (read as silver fish) along your river...

cormorant-trees-65273.jpg

to be fair patrick, theres not very much (if any at all) sign of the black plague in the trees around here. we see the odd one on the water & flying bye plus a few goosanders, but im sure the amount of them around here cant amount to a river not even showing a dimple on the water come dusk.

OOPs ! posted in vwrong thread - sorry ! Mods can you delete this ?

Last edited:
Neil, Having emptied the town stretch 'our' cormorants have moved upstream 20 miles to Shrewsbury and are systematically working their way through the quarry stretch. Unfortunately the lack of bait fish has a knock on effect on the pike fishing to the extent that a couple of the local Polish blokes who have been taking the odd Jack for the table for years have not even bothered fishing the river this year.

Any chance you can bounce this back up a bit closer to the date, I would be very interested in attending, You could also pass it on to Stan Harris of TAA via the Telford Journal and the guy who writes the reports for the Star.

Last edited:
to be fair patrick, theres not very much (if any at all) sign of the black plague in the trees around here. we see the odd one on the water & flying bye plus a few goosanders, but im sure the amount of them around here cant amount to a river not even showing a dimple on the water come dusk.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that they are the only problem, but a few visits a day to a section over a period of 3-5 years can and will have a massive effect..

I fished the Severn back in March with one of the Pallatrax lads for the first time and saw no end of the damn things where we fished.

Poor fry recruitment, water quality, summer floods, winter ice ups etc will all play their part along with the black plague in the sky.

To give you an idea of the impact, a local water to me, 170 acre lake used to be superb roach and rudd fishing... cormorants arrived and within 3 years they had killed an entire island full of trees measuring some 300 x 100 feet and the lake is now practically empty of roach/rudd and bream that are cormorant dinner size... they've now moved on..

Obviously, it's your local water and know more than I on it's vistors but the flying rats will most certainly have had a major impact (along with other reasons)...

I wish all the anglers and clubs in that area the very best of success and hope that the conference and Severn Fisheries Trust achieve their goals and more.

Tight lines :)

As per Ade's post - please keep the thread updated closer the time. Pity Pete Marshall doesn't still post on here as he would normally have done that. Come back Pete...? :).

Last edited:
i posted here so everybody sees it straight away because some do not go to the anouncement pages very often, sorry pete i didnt realize you've already done it, (which kinda proves my point.) no upset intended

Last edited:
No problem Neil, a fellow Bluenose can do no wrong....and the more places it is posted the more may see it.

Back