• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

North West Anglers

Chris Bracey

Hi Guys

Every year (whilst waiting for our PAAS cards to come (2 years left to wait)) we try and find a club that is able to provide us with a nice river with the chance of a fish or 3 on a visit - don't get out as often as we would like (less than 20 times a season due to young families etc) so we are not honestly bothered about chasing the big uns we just want a river we can wander along/stalk and have the chance of 2 or 3 average 5/6lb fish - bigger ones not refused but honestly not chased.

Alot of the clubs we look at BAA (thanks Steve W for PM) Shropshire Anglers/BIWAS/Burton Mutual etc are more than 1 hour 45 mins from home (Manchester) which makes it difficult when wanting to go Sunday for a few hours.

Have recently looked at Warrington Anglers - is anyone a member - can anyone vouch for it or any of the stretches.

We have a number of days on the Wye during the season so really looking for a quiet stretch of river with a chance of a few average fish....

The Goyt has been mentioned/as has the Dove (but heard it is a case of more blanks than fish albeit the fish are big ones) or even the Ribble - albeit I've never been attracted to the Ribble as it seems there is often on some of the stretches an element of hassle (nothin intended personally to anyone just seems the lads reprot more sh*t with rubbish/louts etc than other rivers).

PM if prefered.

Hi men ,

1 hour 45 mins ???, thats the drive for me and Sue for our short sessions on the Teme / Kennet :D:D:D:D, but I know what you mean mate :( . I have changed a bit , when we cant make a break for barbel we have a go for the perch / roach on our local canal .

Hatter

Hi men ,

1 hour 45 mins ???, thats the drive for me and Sue for our short sessions on the Teme / Kennet :D:D:D:D, but I know what you mean mate :( . I have changed a bit , when we cant make a break for barbel we have a go for the perch / roach on our local canal .

Hatter

I know Mark but when both of you go at least you're not getting accused of never being there!! :D

A 10 yr old who plays/trains football/rugby/swimming 6 days a week doesn't help.

Rob - looked at Bay malton - we always have a few days on the Wye and that'll continue but BM is an option although at £100 for the first year we would have to make sure we hit it more than 10/12 times a year - otherwise is an expensive day ticket!

Any other stretches that rival BM on the Dane?

Our problem is that the "lack" of good rivers close by means when we do get there they'll be busy - or they were when we last went over the Dane.

At this rate we'll end up doing what we always do and relying upon day ticket waters - nothing wrong in that but generally it means you have to try and plan in advance (having to get tickets if not sold on bank) and because you vary your rivers you never really get to know a river or the swims

ribble

Hi chris the ribble is a crackin river to fish if you know how and wer to hit the fish there is some good clubs you can join that run some good stretches mate bay malton is 1 of them.

Bay Malton's stretch of the Dane is very good for both Barbel and Chub, however it does get hammered all through the summer months, by about October is starts to quieter down.
Middlewich Joint anglers have a lot of the Dane downstream of the Bay Malton stretch. The best bit is the members only stretch immediately downstream of the Bay Malton stretch with plenty of Barbel and Chub. Prices are reasonable too.

Back