• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

No Spare Spool or Switchable Reverse but Nice Reel.

Bob Gill

Administrator
Staff member
Down sizing and was amazed (apart from the above) how light this reel is - Shimano Stradic 3000 FB HG.

I bought the 2500 version over a year ago to see whether the fuss over a lack of anti-reverse was really such a big issue. I didn't find it an insurmountable problem, though I'd definitely prefer is to have the switch. It's a cracking little reel though. Unbelievably light and a lovely smooth drag.

They tend to be more for chucking spinners these reels, a lot of bass fisherman rate them, guess you don't really need anti-reverse or spare spool for that.

I've got the 2500 Stradic FK on my light spinning set up, I'm very happy with it. I did wonder about the lack of switchable reverse, but its really not an issue. I've thought about either the 3000 or 4000 CI4 for my plugging rod, but having not see one in the flesh I'm not sure about the sizing - Shimano's product numbering can be a bit confusing at times when it comes to reel sizing. How big is the spool diameter on the 3000 bob?

How big is the spool diameter on the 3000 bob?
At the front lip it's 46 mm diameter Joe. For comparison a typical Shimano 4000 size is around 50 mm.
The main feature of the Stradic 3000 is the relative lightness of 190 g and the series is available in two different geared models one at 5.0 to 1, the HG version at 6:1.
Picture is the Stradic 3000 and Sustain 4000

At the front lip it's 46 mm diameter Joe. For comparison a typical Shimano 4000 size is around 50 mm.
The main feature of the Stradic 3000 is the relative lightness of 190 g and the series is available in two different geared models one at 5.0 to 1, the HG version at 6:1.
Picture is the Stradic 3000 and Sustain 4000

View attachment 7823
Thanks Bob,

It would appear the 3000 FB has the same diameter spool as the 2500 FK, so its probably the 4000 size I need.

It would appear the 3000 FB has the same diameter spool as the 2500 FK, so its probably the 4000 size I need.

I went for the Stradic Ci4+ 2500FB over the 3000 because the spool diameters appeared to be the same but the 2500 had a lower line capacity. The 2500 also has a smaller handle knob, which I prefer over the T type fitted to the 3000 and above.

That's a quality superlight reel.

Chucked on my cheapo kitchen scales, with a loaded spool, it's coming in at 220g. On my Reuben Heatons it's 200g. Goes really well on a 10/11' float rod.

I went for the Stradic Ci4+ 2500FB over the 3000 because the spool diameters appeared to be the same but the 2500 had a lower line capacity. The 2500 also has a smaller handle knob, which I prefer over the T type fitted to the 3000 and above.

Chucked on my cheapo kitchen scales, with a loaded spool, it's coming in at 220g. On my Reuben Heatons it's 200g. Goes really well on a 10/11' float rod.
Featherlight Fishing at its best Chris,what line you using?

A Shimano XT-7 AERO Match, with a fully loaded spool, weighs under 300g, and they are bomb proof IMO.

Back