• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

No bites please

Paul Boyle

Grass snake or adder ?

10376069_803239393054599_3257198157434475007_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Definitely Grass Snake...:)

Stunning dark grass snake,used to catch loads as a kid not many as dark as this one,great photo

Agreed Mark,..lovely pic.
I too use to enjoy catching them as a kid growing up on the Hampshire heathlands at Fleet in the early sixties.
I often brought one or two home and put them in an outdoor aquarium only to find them gone the next morning.
It was a good thirty years later when my dad -who hated snakes, - told me that he use to wait for me to go to bed and then dispatch the poor creatures with the garden spade!:(...It broke my heart to think of all the snakes that I had delivered to the executioner! I was obviously a very stupid naive kid in those days!:rolleyes:
Would'nt dream of taking a snake from the wild nowadays,..great to see one swimming along the margins.:)

You used to be able to buy them in pet shops,back in the day,probably the most exotic pet that was available.Most kids had some sort of earner, one of ours was grass snakes and Slowworms.Fifty pence a slowworm or grass snake.Along the railway embankment there were loads of slowworms.They are heavily protected today, i checked a few years back and there are still loads in all of the old places.

The building work on my daughters new school is currently being held up by breeding slow worms......I kid you not.
Agreed, lovely pic.

Is that Shimano Invisitec mono on the spool?????

Back