• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New to the BAA.

Paul Cooper

Hi to all of you fellow barbel nutters.
I have just joined the BAA for the first time, cannot believe how cheap it is!
I am now retired, so can spend more time fishing. Can anyone who is a regular BAA angler point me towards venues that are near to the M50, as i will be driving up from Oxford. I have fished the lower Severn, Wark Avon and Wye many times on a day ticket basis.
Thanks in advance to any replies.
Paul.

Thanks for the replies, yes i have looked at the BAA website. My question is are the venues near to the M50 worth fishing? No to worried about fishing at night, if they are around you can catch them in daylight. I am used to fishing the Thames which can be a ball breaker at times but well worth the effort.

Hi Paul,
I fished the Severn just below Bridgnorth a couple of years ago, but the point of my mail is that in the tackle shop they had a baa produced booklet which I think was £1 and it showed in detail each stretch of water they had and its location. A great help for anyone like you or me, travelling some distance to an unknown fishing location.
Mike

Thanks.
I intent to walk along the venues on the severn and w avon this spring before i start fishing them, will try an purchase one of these booklets.

Hi Paul,
I fished the Severn just below Bridgnorth a couple of years ago, but the point of my mail is that in the tackle shop they had a baa produced booklet which I think was £1 and it showed in detail each stretch of water they had and its location. A great help for anyone like you or me, travelling some distance to an unknown fishing location.
Mike

Hi Mike, i think the tackle shop shutdown a year or two ago :( ? I,m sure one of the locals can/will confirm this. The staff were always very helpful and knowledgeable of the area.

Hi Mike, i think the tackle shop shutdown a year or two ago :( ? I,m sure one of the locals can/will confirm this. The staff were always very helpful and knowledgeable of the area.

Stan Lewis tackle was run by Stan, and he sadly passed away 2013. Middle Severn Angling is now the shop.
Stan had a stretch in the town that was day ticket,now controlled by BAA, our very own John Care has done a very good video of this location on you tube. I think it is called middle Severn Barbel. Worth a look.

Stan Lewis tackle was run by Stan, and he sadly passed away 2013. Middle Severn Angling is now the shop.
Stan had a stretch in the town that was day ticket,now controlled by BAA, our very own John Care has done a very good video of this location on you tube. I think it is called middle Severn Barbel. Worth a look.

awww shucks Neil....;)

Hi Neil, i was thinking of the tackle shop in Bridgnorth. There was a very nice elderly lady behind the counter, she was a mine of information. If i remember rightly, there was a map of the river on the shop counter, showing the free, day ticket, and private stretches. She would always point you in the right direction. :)

awww shucks Neil....;)

Who,s blushing now :D Nice videos John. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Pq5zNSTro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAj7j74Pifw#t=17.322394

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5938P5YV_E#t=17.450392

Hi John. Just watched the first two. A question or two if i may. I consider myself an inexperienced river angler ( to most on here ), as i live so far away from decent barbel waters, the nearest probably being the river Ribble. I don,t get to fish as often as i would like. I would normally take 2 rods. 2 different set-ups. one a running lead or feeder set - up, the other with a big piece of meat on a big hook. But i would only fish 1 rod at a time. How would you cope/react say, if your playing a hard fighting barbel still in mid river, and suddenly your second rod took off. What would your procedure be ? Thank you for any reply.

Regards
Derek.

Most of the lads on here have probably had double hook ups , what I do it just let the second fish take line via the baitrunner while I play the first one. Once that's netted, i leave the net in the water while I play the second fish. You end up with two barbel in your landing net, and probably tangled rigs, but that's the best way I can think of.

It would be nice to hook just one at the moment though (two blanks for me this week).

Never used a two rod set up, because of this very prospect of double hookup , laugh, but a very real possibility given the shoaling instinct of Barbel. For me keeping the other fish on the baitrunner I wouldn't want that! :eek:
However I was watching an Ade Kiddell video recently and he fishes two rods but uses two landing nets, but me being a minimalistic angler this is getting way beyond my capabilities.:)

Derek as John says , Just put the other rod on baitrunner . I had 2 on at the same time last year . Had the first fish on and immediately put the second rod on baitrunner . Luckily I had the first fish in the net when the baitrunner went of on the second rod . First time that has ever happened to me . I don't know what I would of done if I would of had a bite on both rods at the same time ?

This reminds me of my rather expensive early season calamity.

For the first (and last) time ever, I fished two rods on the Wye on one of my favourite swims. On good days, you'll catch all day, on bad days you'll have to wait until dusk, but you'll catch eventually.

I started with one rod for the first biteless hour, and with a slow day in prospect under a hot sun decided a second rod was worth a go, with both baitrunners on. However, due to the quantity of loose weed continually snagging the line, after a few hours I decided to flick the baitrunners off and stay on top of my rods. Mistake Number One.

Finally, after eight hours, I had a take on rod number one and the hook pulled after about 30 seconds. I reeled in to re-bait, turning away from rod number two for no more than five seconds. Mistake Number Two. You can guess what happened next...

Suddenly rod number two was shooting into the river like a javelin, with me making a David de Gea-like dive to grab the end of the handle. Too late...it continued its journey into the fast-flowing depths, a bit like that scene in Jaws when the shark pulls the barrel underwater. The speed was gob-smacking.

I'd heard the stories about anglers losing their rods to Wye barbel, and contented myself that it could only happen to a complete and utter idiot. Suddenly I was that complete and utter idiot.

The good news was I spent the next half hour casting across the river and was able to snag the line from rod number two - thankfully the barbel had slipped the hook.

The bad news was the rod itself remained firmly snagged up underwater, never to be seen again (by me, anyway). Not any old rod, but a new I-Power which I had yet to even christen with a fish. Plus the Shimano 5000. So, total cost running to £400+.

That'll teach me...

Fished two rods many times on the Trent, and like most have enjoyed the odd 'double-scoop'. John outlines what to perfectly. That said I wouldn't dream of fishing two rods on smaller rivers or anywhere near snags.

A mate of mine who knows the Trent as well as anyone I know, reckons that only fishing one rod on certain stretches has improved his catch rate in terms of both numbers and size. In particular fishing well downstream (but bang on the line) of the bait-dropped area with a straight lead and a long-tail.

Never fish two rods now after having a double hook up. It's 8 leaving the bait runner on but you never know what is under the water and if a fish is going into a snag. Nothing worse than a hooked fish and having to pull for a break.

Back