• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New to Barbel-Where to fish?

Tom Morris

hi chaps

I currently fish for all other specimens (with relative success!),and i would love to catch a barbel, i hail from essex which although is good for carp lakes, it lacks in decent barbel river other than the Thames. I know the Thamesand the Kennet are the closest places to go but the question is i dont have a clue where to start (fishing that is). Ive trawled the internet an ive got my rod,tackle,rigs and bait sussed i just need a venue. I dont care if i only catch a 2lber any barbel will do, and i wondered if any of you guys could point me in the right direction,i have thought of Aldermaston Mill on the Kennet and the throop fisheries on the dorset stour.
I'm not asking for anyones secrets or where abouts of massive barbel i just want a nice scenic stretch of river with a chance of catching a barbel preferably on a day ticket
I eagerly await replies,many thanks

Tom

Last edited:
Not many barbel in Dobbs (or Carthagena or Fields Weirs), Tom. Your best bet on the Lea would be Fishers Green or Kings Weir. Kings is still available on day ticket I believe, although the main river section there, like all of the Fishers Green section immediately below, is season ticket.
The Fishers Green Consortium is doing a half-season ticket soon I believe. P.M Keith Speers for details?

If you do give Kings Weir a go, wait for some rain to put some flow and colour in the water to give yourself the best chance, you'll find it tough going with lots of crayfish in the "low and clear".

Hi Simon
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it,I don't think I'll be waiting long for rain in this country! Pesky crayfish they're every where these days!I shall look into the half season ticket to

Many thanks

Hi Simon
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it,I don't think I'll be waiting long for rain in this country! Pesky crayfish they're every where these days!I shall look into the half season ticket to

Many thanks
Not in the Teme, only native crayfish at present (and hopefully for ever)...try and visit before the end of October, best river in the country, lots of day tickets. Worcester Anglings bit on the lower Teme being the best day ticket, the BAA have lots in the middle Teme, Lindridge, Eardiston being about the best.

Not in the Teme, only native crayfish at present (and hopefully for ever)...try and visit before the end of October, best river in the country, lots of day tickets. Worcester Anglings bit on the lower Teme being the best day ticket, the BAA have lots in the middle Teme, Lindridge, Eardiston being about the best.

Are you sure Worcester Angling Society issue day tickets, they certainly do guest tickets for about a pound but they have to be purchased by an accompanying member (this is according to the guy in Alan's Tackle, Worcester) but apparently the society are becoming relaxed on the 15 mile ruling for members??

Back