• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Season - New Area - Clubs & day tickets stretches near Wallingford

Andrew Firth

Hello All,

I've been moved in my job to just outside near Wallingford between Reading and Oxford.

The Thames is on my doorstep, many other rivers easily within an hours reach I reckon, so I'm wondering if anyone in BFW land can point me in the direction of good club stretches or even day ticket rivers...

Any river considered, I've honed my skills on the Bristol Avon which is a beautiful little meandering river, snaggy, step banks, shallows etc etc To the Tidal Trent which is a monster of a river...

Any pointers anyone...?

Have a look at Twyford and District Fishing Club and Reading and District Angling Association Andrew.

Andrew, I used to fish the Thame at Dorchester on Thames and believe its controlled by the Dorchester Angling Society. They also have some of the Thames. I recall the Thame being a gorgeous stretch of water and it used to contain some good barbel (not in huge numbers though) and big chub. Membership was very good value and you can join at Didcot Angling Centre. I think to join you need live within 5 miles of Dorchester. You might just make that!

RDAA surely has to be your best bet with waters on your doorstep and also some fine barbel country around Reading?

Stephen

Thanks for the steers so far gents,

Managed to go recce St Pats Stream near Charvil on the Twyford ticket and the Upper & Lower Benyon stretches on the RDAA ticket, anyone fished these...?

Also passed and had a look at Sandford On Thames Lockgates/weir pool, the power of the water was immense reminded me of Collingham Weir on the Tidal Trent, anyone fished this too...?

Taywoodas

Hi Andrew,
Taywood Angling Society have almost 1 3/4 miles of the Thames downstream of Sonning which they do as a river only ticket at £30 a year plus one off joining fee. Not heavily fished with some big Barbel and very big Chub and river Carp.
PM if you are interested-iy is on the Wallingford side of the river, so should be easy for you to get to

Cheers Dave

Says on their website they have just over a mile of the Thames at sonning and that is it! Or you can travel all the way to Chertsey to fish their carp lakes, at £85 first year I would hardly call that value for money compared with T&DFC or RDAA, in fact RDAA has well over a mile at Sonning together with Sonning Gravel Pit and umpteen other stretches of the Thames and Kennet, very good value ticket.

If you like to fish late into the night then T&DFC is better value and offers you loads of Loddon (if heaven was by a river it is the Loddon) Blackwater, St. Pats and the Thames, pretty much all fishable into the night without any extra charges.

I am a little biased being the T&DFC Chairman but I hope I am offering sound info/advice.

If you would like to fish as my guest on any T&DFC river stretches, drop me a PM

Would you have a post code to these stretches along the Sonning, also struggled to get a look at the Lodden but where would you say to have a recce of first...?

All the water I loked at is within half hour traffic allowing so its all good and local...

Back