• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New old trotting floats

Jason Bean

Found some old floats that were given to me...not that old but something I aint seen before...X shaped type short stubby sticks designed to pick up the flow...

Forgot what they're called now, will edit with the name when I remember unless anyone else knows or used them ?

Cheers
Jason

that'll be a fluted avon

a bit like this modern interpitation
DSCF1605-1.jpg

or this oldish one

5e0c_1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Steven...The bottom picture is the ones i've got, have 8 of them in different sizes.

As anyone used them and are they any good...not tried them myself yet ?

I would pressume not as nobody makes them now.....

Cheers
Jason

I make them in Balsa and styrofoam & use them in both pacey and slow moving water ,the vanes give the float a greater surface area too catch the flow better and because of this they keep a truer course in disturbed waters where a more rounded float maybe bullied of course by swells and swirls etc .

they're a excellent float often overlooked ,great for centrepinning with for grayling etc with a set of tightly grouped shot (2mm apart) around centre depth and one or two droppers .

I'll have to give a go before the end of the season,. going to give them a fresh coat of laquer as they're getting a bit flakey

Cheers
Jason

Back