• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New okuma

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men,

Are the new version of the Epix pro as good as the originals ?.I met someone on the river who raved about them .

Hatter

Okuma20Epix20Pro20Baitfeeder.jpg

Epix Pro Baitfeeder

Evolution of the successful Okuma Epix Baitfeeder.

9 ball bearings + 1 Quick-set 1 way clutch bearing.

1 aluminium spool + 2 metal lip spare spools.

1 balanced handle + 1 spare snap lock handle.

Infinity stop & RES Rotor Equalising system.

100% Balanced & Perfect line lay.

Static drag system & EDS Extra Drag System.

Micro adjustable free spool function.

Brass gear & Oversized line roller.

5 year warranty.

They definatley look good Mark so does the spec, i just can't drag myself away from Shimano, their only problem is the bail spring they only last 10 years, :D but Shimano have brought out a long life spring now just replaced one in mine after 10 years of constant use and abuse :D

Thats the old Epix Pro the new one is called Epix Pro V2.
Here
Its a nice reel but you dont get the extras you get with the old Epix Pro's:
3 x spools
Single & double handles.
But still a nice reel but the older types as above are the ones to get as far as I am concerned they are superb.

I had a look at the new one (called the Epix Pro V2) in my local shop. It was nearly half the price of the old one — but it felt like it was half the price, I didn't really fancy it. Having said that, being an Okuma, it probably still has an outstanding drag and I haven't used one on the bank.

I have two of the old ones which I've been very happy with. If you can find one, they are a great second-hand buy.

Last edited:
i have the old old one (30) and the old one(40). the old old one is still as smooth as when i first had it ten or so years ago, and the old one is faultless aswell. i'm considering getting the old one in a 30 at the moment for float/light feeder stuff

do the spools off an undertaker fit it because if they do i have 2 going F.O.C to the first taker. pm me with your address if you want them

I use several varieties of the (original) Epix Pro. the 40's for my 1.75 rods, the 50's on my Trent 2.25 rods and the 60's on my 2lb 11' Carp Rods. The latter replaced my Shimano 40000 Aeros (retired after 20 years as unavailable parts needed).

One of the nicest clutches about (I have some Daiwa SS3000 as a reference point).
I dont like the new versions (ie V2). But if you look at Ebay or Cheshire Angling (http://www.cheshirefishing.co.uk/shop/okuma/epixprobf.htm) you can usually find some bargains about on (old stock) new reels.

They are now the only reels (other than my pins) whiuch I use for Barbel fishing.

How do you rate them up against your old Shimano's Darryl ?

I used to use the 4000 aeros for my barbeling, but have long since only used them for my general fishing - Chub etc upgrading to 6000's about 13 years ago.

Ian.

Last edited:
Well the Aeros lasted 20 years until the parts were not available.
The Epix 5 years so far but the drag is much better.
You have to get the XTEA's to get near.
At the price you can get old stock it is a no-brainer (sorry for the collequism)

Thanks for the info Darryl. Bought a couple to add to my stable. As you said the Okumas have a far smoother drag action than the Shimano. I have 2 of the later which I never use but can't bring myself to throw away

I have a pair of Interceptor Pros, and they do for me, i.e. they get the barbel from A to B.....though sometimes via C :)

Just received my Epix Pro, they seem the business. I got the 50 which will be spot on for the Trent and the Wye, but will use my Spectrum 30 (similar to the interceptor) for the smaller rivers

EpixPro

I agree with others in that the Epix Pro drag is great however the one down side versus the Daiwa 3012 front drag reels is the weight.
I just feel the Daiwa reels feel better,especially with an 11ft or shorter rod.

I agree with others in that the Epix Pro drag is great however the one down side versus the Daiwa 3012 front drag reels is the weight.
I just feel the Daiwa reels feel better,especially with an 11ft or shorter rod.

I agree with you there about the weight, when i'm using a shorter 11ft rod on ponds i use the old old epix (rear drag no bait runner) in a size 30.

Back