• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New member from Leicester

Sold now Simon but appreciate the heads up anyway mate

Morning Stephen. I'm fairly local to Leicester. I don't know if you use Facebook at all, but there is a page selling tackle in Leicestershire.

Worth a look for the odd bit of kit that comes up on there.

As for the fishing on the Soar, I'd suggest a Loughborough Soar book to start with. The area near Cotes mill is a good place to start. I believe the Barbel are sparse nowadays on the river, the odd big one does come up occasionally, and the river has recently had a injection on new fish. As for the Dove. It's tough, very tough. I haven't fished it for a couple of years now, but the fishing isn't what it used to be.
Thanks for the link to the Facebook selling page Simon, just joined thank you.

Yeah during my searches on barbel fishing on the soar and came across the Loughborough Soar Club so will definitely start with them thank you

Welcome to BFW Stephen, I live in Melton Mowbray and mainly fish the Trent East Stoke / Fiskerton. I would be interested to hear how you get on on the Soar as I have toyed with the idea of fishing it.

Welcome to BFW Stephen, I live in Melton Mowbray and mainly fish the Trent East Stoke / Fiskerton. I would be interested to hear how you get on on the Soar as I have toyed with the idea of fishing it.
Evening Kevin and thank you for the welcome.

Will definitely let you know if I have any success on the Soar but I’m very interested in trying the Trent at some point too. Initial searches has mentioned that they are a bit sparse on the Soar but not sure if there’s any truth in that.

Recently got laid off so not had chance to get some tackle yet as funds are a bit tight at the moment understandably but should get some in the next few months fingers crossed and I can get on the bank

Sorry to hear you have been laid off Stephen, have been there myself, hope you manage to get a job soon, who knows could be you get a better job than you had.

There is a River Soar Fishing Group on Facebook here

Welcome, a lot help can be obtained here, and some bargains on the classifieds. I'm in Northamptonshire. You could also look at the nene at Peterborough depending which side of Leicestershire your on.

Sorry to hear you have been laid off Stephen, have been there myself, hope you manage to get a job soon, who knows could be you get a better job than you had.

There is a River Soar Fishing Group on Facebook here
Thank you for the kind words Kevin. I’ve managed to pick up some Part Time work 3 days a week, it’s not the Full Time I need but at least it’s something to help with the bills.

Appreciate the link thank you, I have just joined 👍🏼

Welcome, a lot help can be obtained here, and some bargains on the classifieds. I'm in Northamptonshire. You could also look at the nene at Peterborough depending which side of Leicestershire your on.
Thank you for the welcome Mark, someone mentioned the River Nene before to me. I live near Glenfield in Leicester

Your welcome, if you do want to fish the Trent I am a member of Newark & District Piscatorials Federation with stretches of the Trent here
If you fancy a day I can get you a guest ticket, best time around September / October.

Thank you for the offer Kevin, that’d be great thank you mate. I really appreciate it
Your welcome Stephen, I was introduced to the joy of Barbel fishing by a very experienced Barbel angler so it's my turn to pass on the gesture.
I can get you started, but it really is a journey of discovery, after a few seasons I am still at the beginning stage myself.

Your welcome Stephen, I was introduced to the joy of Barbel fishing by a very experienced Barbel angler so it's my turn to pass on the gesture.
I can get you started, but it really is a journey of discovery, after a few seasons I am still at the beginning stage myself.
I’d really appreciate someone showing me the basics and getting me started and then, like you say, I can take what I’ve learned and use it build upon if that sense Kevin

Back