• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New line

Just respooled a reel for new season and used last of my stock of trusty 12lb Pro Gold and have discovered that it’s no longer available!
Whats everyone using these days, Gardner GR60 looks good?
This is for small to medium rivers.

I started using GR60 after it was recommended by several people on here. Used it for the last 2 years on the Trent. Mostly 10lb but sometimes use 15. Couldn't be happier with it and don't plan on changing any time soon. Seriously strong I read somewhere 10lb GR60 broke at 16 when tested. I also use 8lb for hook lengths in snaggy swims as its pretty abrasion resistant. £20 for a 1400m spool off ebay so you can't go wrong.

Martin
There was a thread on this forum a month or two ago called which mono, that’ll give you a few pointers. Sorry i’m Not computer savvy enough to be able to provide a link to it but you can search it from top RHS of this screen

Regards
BillW

Thanks All, for the advice.
Seems to the norm these days with tackle, that manufacturers discontinue their better products, if I was more of a tackle tart perhaps I'd be up to speed.

I’ve now switched from sensor to hyper sensor. Been using it a lot lately and it’s agood line that hangs straighter than the original with a better diameter. Think I’ll stick with it

Thanks All, for the advice.
Seems to the norm these days with tackle, that manufacturers discontinue their better products, if I was more of a tackle tart perhaps I'd be up to speed.
My fishing's not been the same since they withdrew bullock's pith, and greaves :eek:

Been reviewing the Berkeley CM 70 CARP mono, apparently it has all the attributes of Berkeley tough, cheap etc, but this stuff sinks like flouro, just wondered if anyone has used this and can comment.

Doesn't look good for braid. Some barely achieving half their stated breaking strain.

A lot of manufacturers rate the b/s of braid on their linear (e.g. un-knotted) strength. The problem with this is some braids lose around 50% of their linear strength when knotted. The most reliable indicator of real world strength tends to be diameter, typically 60lb braid has the same diameter of 15lb line.

I haven't used braid for barbel fishing, but I can see the advantages for some applications (floodwater conditions being one), but I use Power Pro in 50lb (0.36) exclusively for pike fishing and can't ever see me switching back to mono.

Back