• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New fishery open on the River Wye which might be of interest

Graham, sounds like you were fishing Stans, not the Old Harp Fishery this thread was about ?

Ha, yes, sorry.

I remembered this thread before we set off last week, and only had time to quickly jump into the thread and scribble down a phone number .... stan's as it turns out, rather than Robert Fox's. Doh!

Oh well, Stan's was great, and I'll know better next time and maybe this means we can fish even closer to the pub (where we stayed in the van).

Ha, yes, sorry.

I remembered this thread before we set off last week, and only had time to quickly jump into the thread and scribble down a phone number .... Stan's as it turns out, rather than Robert Fox's. Doh!

Oh well, Stan's was great, and I'll know better next time and maybe this means we can fish even closer to the pub (where we stayed in the van).

Hope you don't mind me bumping a 7-y-o thread but seven years on from me posting in this thread, the wrong thread, after writing down the wrong phone number, we finally got to fish the Fantastic Mr. Fox's fabulous Old Harp fishery (which used to be "new") last weekend. We only make it to the Wye once or twice a year ... so many gorgeous stretches to fish, so little time ... but this last trip was a candidate for the best of all, as we are now getting properly into float fishing for barbel and Robert really put us on the fish at this beautiful natural fishery.

Plenty of barbel at the Old Harp, plenty of Butty Bach and the New Harp. Glory days on the glorious River Wye, the miraculous river that falls on Sunday, after it has rained - (everywhere in the catchment) constantly for 24 hours!!

Oh and props to St. John too for guiding Claire on the magical Monnow on Sunday! Her first decent brownie on the dry fly! Meanwhile I carried on catching lovely barbel on the float (including the epic foul-hooked story I posted in the Wye thread yesterday :-D)

Last edited:
Back