• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Enterprise Tackle Snag Safe Lead Clips by Bob Gill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

New Enterprise Tackle Snag Safe Lead Clips by Bob Gill

Introduction

I have used the previous version of the Enterprise Snag Safe clips and although I thought they were good bits of kit, they had in my view some shortcomings. Firstly, they broke at too low a pulling pressure for most of my fishing situations, secondly (and this I found more irritating), I found myself having to do quite a bit of retackling after the clip had broken, in order to get a replacement clip onto the mainline. Another thing of concern was I was never quite at ease with casts that involved any more than a short gentle lob just in case Comrade Krakov paid an unexpected visit.

At a recent local Bristol Barbel Group meeting, I was given a packet of the new lead clips to have a look at and do a review.

Contents of The Pack

A quick look at the contents indicated that Enterprise had vastly improved the product with an assortment of items, designed to give you a more versatile product.

The picture below shows the pack contents and these perhaps require a little more explanation.

You get:

3 Large bore run rings.

3 Rubber (protect-a-beads) beads.

3 Lengths of silicone tubing.

3 Swivels.

20 Split rings which consist of 5 each of various release pressures (2 to 3lb, 5 to 6lb, 8 to 9lb and 11 to 12lb). These are presented in two colour forms - small and large green, small and large clear to help save confusion.

snagbits.jpg

New Enterprise Snag Safe Lead Clip Contents of a Pack

In Use

Thread a suitable split ring onto the run ring, push the silicone tubing over this and then thread the swivel of the lead onto the split ring. This is a fairly easy operation although a tad fiddly. I found that a slight trim to the tube made things a easier. Some smaller lead swivels will be a bit tight or refuse to fit the required split ring. To be fair this is mentioned in the accompanying card with the pack, along with a safety note concerning possible relase during casting if an inappropriate weight lead/split clip combination is used.

The protect-a-beads and swivels are supplied to incorporate in the terminal setup.

leadclip.jpg

Weight Connected and Ready to Go

Conclusions

Offer improvements and more versatility over the older version, no need for complete end tackle break down after weight loss - just replace split ring and weight.

You should be OK with all the 4 split rings with weights that have Size 9 swivels or larger (within reason!).

Weights with size 10 swivels did not fit the large green split ring, but just about usuable on the large clear split ring (which according to the provided notes was a higher pressure release).
There are some ways round this by adding an additional 'third party link' between the split ring and weight swivel but in most circumstances this should not be necessary. I used ESP swivels for testing.

Excellent, well made quality product.

Price

Available in the BFW shop at £1.95 per pack.

Go to the BFW On Line Shop

Bob Gill

March 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back