• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New chub record?

I guess as it says, no witnesses means it is very unlikely to go through, in fact I can't see how it could.

It's an odd photo and I immediately thought it had been photoshopped but maybe the web techs have interfered with it. A 6lb chub is big enough for me.

It looks a 10lb fish there’s no question about that.
fair play to the capture and that’s quite a leap from the previous river lea record.
unfortunately for him I can’t see that ever being an official record as without a witness it can’t be claimed.

Looking at the pic, it is a very "clean" fish, I have had Chub up to 7 lbs, and most that have topped 5 have shall we say a few marks of "wear and tear" .At the given weight I would expect it to have a few battle scars, I am not sure it reaches the weight specified, but then again, as already said, without a witness who is to say otherwise .

No doubting the elation on the captors face though.

David.

I’m gonna say I believe the chap.
there was an 8 1/2 pounder come out the Trent last year and qualified as new T chub record which was equally clean and immaculate and didn’t look any thing as big as this. i hope it’s true and caught again with witnesses. It would Be nice to see another river hold the chub record.

I mean it could be... but looking at the scale of the fish against his fingers, it doesn’t look quite that large. The head in particular looks rather big, which is a little odd. For comparison, this fish, from a few years back is a mere (comparatively) 6lb 6oz.

Attachments

• D8109AE9-CCAE-4BCF-B367-8C1AC7CFC613.jpeg
    D8109AE9-CCAE-4BCF-B367-8C1AC7CFC613.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 341
Its a terrible photo at arms length with the fish pushed right up to the camera, it could be any weight. I have had a lot of big chub and once they go over 7lb they always get a thick shoulder hump and deep fat stomach and the thickness goes the length of the body.This fish has no depth between its pelvic and dorsal fins and goes skinny to the tail. I just cannot see a fish of this size coming from the Seven and if it did it would have been caught before over 10lb. Big Chub get big eating vast amounts of anglers bait thats why the Trent has started doing a lot , Just my thoughts . If I caught a Chub a pound and a half over the record I am sure I would have got the whole angling world wanting to come and see it ,weigh it and take quality photos.

It’s an immaculate looking fish, but as Mark says it’s a terrible pic. What’s happened to the bottom of the frame?

It looks to have that post-spawning flaccid look about it (judging by the softness around his finger where he is holding it), so on that basis how big would would this fish go late season? 13lb?! 🤔

At the very least I think I would have taken a mat shot with a set of scales next to it to give some context of size.

I suppose only the angler in question knows the truth of this capture. I believe if I had caught a river record I would want at least one witness just for my own piece of mind as in all the excitement it is easy to get confused and misread the scales.
I hate to disbelieve any angler who has had the thrill of a record breaking catch but unfortunately their are some charlatans on the banks who think making false claims is clever, just sad Walter Mitty characters really.
When I caught my P.B. from the Teme I had to weigh it three times, I had to, I was shaking like a leaf with excitement 😂😂😂.
Tight Lines,
G.T.

Back