• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Cherwell record

Jason Bean

I had the pleasure of bumping into Kenny not long after he caught it and to say he was chuffed is an understatement, first running water barbel and what a stunner...15lb 9 oz and looks ever bit of it.

In this weeks angling times

"First running water barbel"? Wow. Well done that man.

I didn't think the Cherwell was worth fishing these days, I had a 12+ in 1993 or so but haven't fished there for years.

I also thought the river was finished for barbel, although still a decent river for chub. This is a terrific fish and a major surprise given the state of the river, dirty, low water etc

I have not seen a barbel on the river for a few years now but this one is a big one! Might have to try again as I gave it up for chub!

I have not seen a barbel on the river for a few years now but this one is a big one! Might have to try again as I gave it up for chub!

I was wondering if it came up from the Thames Kevin, as it looks like it was caught in the lower reaches of the river. I did hear of a small one, five pounds I think, being caught at Somerton last year. But this monster was a hell of a surprise, to me anyway!

I was wondering if it came up from the Thames Kevin, as it looks like it was caught in the lower reaches of the river. I did hear of a small one, five pounds I think, being caught at Somerton last year. But this monster was a hell of a surprise, to me anyway!

Alex

I hear rumours of the odd one coming out but nothing concrete. I used to see them spawning on the gravel but its only chub ow and has been for a few years. i suspect the odd one remains but for me its not worth fishing for them any more on the river. The chub fishing remains good though with another 5lb er the other day!

Kevin

Alex

I hear rumours of the odd one coming out but nothing concrete. I used to see them spawning on the gravel but its only chub ow and has been for a few years. i suspect the odd one remains but for me its not worth fishing for them any more on the river. The chub fishing remains good though with another 5lb er the other day!

Kevin

Yes still a good chub river although they don't seem as widespread as they used to be. Long Meadow at Bletchingdon used to be a wonderful stretch for chub but it's hard to get a bite there now.

Well it was over 10 miles away from the Thames and would had to have jumped 3 weirs, I doubt there's been enough rain to do that in the last 10 years so it's a fair bet it's an original Cherwell fish pre ea stocking.

Well it was over 10 miles away from the Thames and would had to have jumped 3 weirs, I doubt there's been enough rain to do that in the last 10 years so it's a fair bet it's an original Cherwell fish pre ea stocking.

Good news Jason, it certainly didn't come up from the Thames if that's the case:)

Thing is Alex that fish got big on a natural diet....not boilies or pellets. I'm not sure whether barbel eat signal crayfish in the way chub and perch do. as we know it can make the chub get big very quick.

Thing is Alex that fish got big on a natural diet....not boilies or pellets. I'm not sure whether barbel eat signal crayfish in the way chub and perch do. as we know it can make the chub get big very quick.

That's true Jason. Pretty sure they do eat signals whenever they can, makes you wonder what else is lurking in there. I did give it a go around Somerton/ Heyford area in the summer but had no indications, not even from crayfish. The river was low and mud coloured, not appealing at all.

The chub sizes did rise dramatically about 15 years ago, when the signals started to become a problem.

The last 8 weeks Alex I've done 24 evening sessions for 42 chub to 6lb 7oz...9 bream to 7lb 5oz and 1 barbel which was 4lbish...that's fishing in 8 swims that have been regularly fed....I haven't done that for years on the Cherwell. The only thing that made me have a bash again was the lack of crayfish.

funny all that effort and I only break my Cherwell bream pb

Its a very clean, older fish with no obvious Furry friend, fin damage so has done well to avoid them.It also looks fairly empty so has potential to go even bigger

The last 8 weeks Alex I've done 24 evening sessions for 42 chub to 6lb 7oz...9 bream to 7lb 5oz and 1 barbel which was 4lbish...that's fishing in 8 swims that have been regularly fed....I haven't done that for years on the Cherwell. The only thing that made me have a bash again was the lack of crayfish.

funny all that effort and I only break my Cherwell bream pb

You must have an impressive PB chub Jason! Very good fishing, well done, worth the effort.

Back