• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New BFW Article added

Paul Whiteing

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent article, Ian. You've given me a few more ideas for the new season, specifically upstreaming and back leads for downstreaming. Also, I tend to catch fish when my bait's been in the water a good while, i.e. at least 35 mins, and on that basis I agree with you're thoughts on re-casting. :)

Excellent article, Ian. You've given me a few more ideas for the new season, specifically upstreaming and back leads for downstreaming. Also, I tend to catch fish when my bait's been in the water a good while, i.e. at least 35 mins, and on that basis I agree with you're thoughts on re-casting. :)

Cheers Rich,
Glad you got something from it.

Ian.

Well done ,Ian,putting pen to paper and taking the time to do it.
Plenty of good sensible advice ,and keeping it simple,which essentially it is .

Chuck in enthusiasm ,effort ,and being on the bank,as you do,and it's a winning combination.
An enjoyable,thought provoking read.

Cheers Chris,
Your absolutley right, those three are the essential ingredients, but effort should still be fun, when it's not it's time for a change ;)

Ian.

Interesting reading Ian - thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Am I right in thinking that when upstreaming you're not using a back lead ?

An enthralling read and lots learnt with imo nothing held back.

Well done Ian

Ian, well done mate for putting that into writing, you already know I agree with most of it, I was a little disappointed you didn't go into more detail explaining your exclusive method of attaching back leads, you know the "plop, ****!" method :)

Interesting reading Ian - thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Am I right in thinking that when upstreaming you're not using a back lead ?

Correct Mark there's no need as the flow coming downstream will pin your line down providing it's not tight, every inch you pay off your reel will be an inch pinned down on the river bed.

Ian.

Ian, well done mate for putting that into writing, you already know I agree with most of it, I was a little disappointed you didn't go into more detail explaining your exclusive method of attaching back leads, you know the "plop, ****!" method :)

Your bells got a mention too :D

Great article Ian and a cracking read. Methods that put big barbel in the net I can testify.

Ian mate.

Sound advise there buddy and an excellent read too!

I'll be giving it a go at some point to. Oh and I love Chub too Ian for some silly reason when they reach a certain size!!;)

Catch up with you on the bank soon mate!!

Julian.

I love the Chub too Julian..... when i'm fishing for them, .... then the Barbel become a pain :p

An excellent read Ian and I enjoyed seeing the non complex "keeping it simple" approach with regard to your rigs,the upstreaming and allowing the line to pin itself down was very enlightening indeed,I think I speak for everyone,when I say,you need to write more articles.:)

Thanks Mark, and to you all for your kind words, i have to say i enjoyed writing the articles, my main worry is boring people to death :p
It's mostly reading threads on here that give me the idea's and impetus to write them, and if i've made people stop and have a think about whats going on under the surface, then i've hit the button especially if they actually get something from my babbleings :p
If i come up with more subject matter to talk about, maybe i will write another one, you lot will have to get chatting with each other to give me ideas !
I bet there's a lot of you out there with an article or two inside you, why not give it a go you'll see for yourself how enjoyable it is.

Ian.

Back