• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Multi Float Rod.

Alec Hague

Senior Member & Supporter
Some may have read my no doubt insane ramblings about the shimano aspire ultra rod. On the supplied hard case they came in , it has printed "Multi Float Rod".
I have asked Shimano what they mean by this but has anyone else heard of a multi float? A new one on me!

It probably means it’s suitable for multi purpose fishing. A lot of hollow tip match rods are nowadays. They do a decent job of trotting top n bottom floats, as well as chucking a wag out into a still water.
They don’t set the world alight at either task like a dedicated river or waggler rod wound at a dedicated task but they perform fine all round.
Most float rods are built like this and they are alrounders or in your case “multi purpose” that would be my guess as to what they mean.

That's terrific Richard thanks. Another suggestion is multi length. The handle is very similar to the new x7 which has a screw in 4 " extention. Maybe the bottom bit comes off? Not tried as still has cellophane on. Taking both into my tackle shop tomorrow hopefully as they are Shimano agents. I will report their considered view.

I also recall the Harrison M U R for similar reasons. Have emailed Shimano too . I think mur is obscure anyway but that's coz I is thick. But when talking to the good doctor ,I asked, ha

That's terrific Richard thanks. Another suggestion is multi length. The handle is very similar to the new x7 which has a screw in 4 " extention. Maybe the bottom bit comes off? Not tried as still has cellophane on. Taking both into my tackle shop tomorrow hopefully as they are Shimano agents. I will report their considered view.
4” extension? What is that for?

Fits in bottom of handle. If one believes the promotional video adds 45 mts to the cast.

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_092219_5.jpg
    IMG_20230422_092219_5.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 89
I was watching the promo video on youtube and guy said the 4" extension added 15m to the cast which I logged as 45ft. Sorry. I am old, that's my only excuse. Well stupid as well I admit.
Been in touch with Shimano , their help dept doesn't know anything about rods , ha, said call billy clarke. Spoken to them about the extension which fitted the 15' aspire but they say it wont fit the 13 and no idea why they call the 13' "multi float" . I give up now!

It is a little 4” extension
I can’t see that being added to a float rod personally
sorry again Richard, the X7 is a feeder. Billy clarke said never heard of an ext on a float til I said the ultra 15 has one. Been a fun way of passing the afternoon as too cold eastly to fish. but blow it , I am out tomorrow if it snows!

Shimano did the odd "Multi Match" float rod around fifteen to twenty years back. The only one I've really noticed has been the Antares AX Multi Match 4245FA but I've been told there may be a few more. Rather than being a 14' rod with a dolly piece to add to take it to 15', it's a 15' rod with a dolly piece to reduce it to 14'. Sounds like a pedantic distinction, but I've found this is a better way of producing a multi-length rod.

Sold Antares AX Multi-Match 4245FA on eBay

Shimano did the odd "Multi Match" float rod around fifteen to twenty years back. The only one I've really noticed has been the Antares AX Multi Match 4245FA but I've been told there may be a few more. Rather than being a 14' rod with a dolly piece to add to take it to 15', it's a 15' rod with a dolly piece to reduce it to 14'. Sounds like a pedantic distinction, but I've found this is a better way of producing a multi-length rod.

Sold Antares AX Multi-Match 4245FA on eBay
Am i right in assuming here that on these you add and reduce the length on the very end of the butt section?

Certainly on my current x7 which is 13 ' there is a ⁴ " extension added to the rear of the butt. Said to add 15 m to the cast. On the aspire there are 3 models, 13/14 and 15, the later having an option of a 2' ext to 17'.. Tbh, nice guy at Shimano was a salesman and the helpful guy at Billy Clarke was equally non plussed. Anyway tried to answer the question . All that remains now is to rig and use it.

Looking at the Aspire Ultra Match rods in the 2016 catalogue, it shows three models, one of which is definitely a "multi". It's a 15/17' model. A fixed length 13 or 14' model having "multi" on its tube but not the rod itself sounds like it might be a bit of a cock up by the manufacturer. I wonder whether the product codes may have caused some confusion. The 13' is ASU13MFL, the 14' is ASU14MFL and the 15/17' is ASUM1517MFL. I take these as
ASU = Aspire Ultra.
ASUM = Aspire Ultra Multi (length)
13, 14 and 1517 = length in feet.
MFL = Match Float.

I wonder whether someone has taken the suffix "M" to mean "Multi" rather than "Match". That may explain a fixed length rod having Multi on the tube and not the rod. There's certainly no mention in the catalogue of "multi" with regards to the 13 or 14' models

Am i right in assuming here that on these you add and reduce the length on the very end of the butt section?

They (the Antares AX Multi Match 4245FA) are four piece 15' rods with a 1' parallel section at the top end of the butt section. You remove this to reduce the rod down to 14'. Shimano have done more than the odd 15' - 17' rod with the same configuration. I have a couple of these. The Speedmaster Multi Match has Speedmaster Multi on the side of its tube and the product code on the top of the tube opening. However, the rod itself has "Speedmaster Multi Match" and the product code on it.

Last edited:
They are four piece 15' rods with a 1' parallel section at the top end of the butt section. You remove this to reduce the rod down to 14'. Shimano have done more than the odd 15' - 17' rod with the same configuration. I have a couple of these. The Speedmaster Multi Match has Speedmaster Multi on the side of its tube and the product code on the top of the tube opening. However, the rod itself has "Speedmaster Multi Match" and the product code on it.

Looking at the Aspire Ultra Match rods in the 2016 catalogue, it shows three models, one of which is definitely a "multi". It's a 15/17' model. A fixed length 13 or 14' model having "multi" on its tube but not the rod itself sounds like it might be a bit of a cock up by the manufacturer. I wonder whether the product codes may have caused some confusion. The 13' is ASU13MFL, the 14' is ASU14MFL and the 15/17' is ASUM1517MFL. I take these as
ASU = Aspire Ultra.
ASUM = Aspire Ultra Multi (length)
13, 14 and 1517 = length in feet.
MFL = Match Float.

I wonder whether someone has taken the suffix "M" to mean "Multi" rather than "Match". That may explain a fixed length rod having Multi on the tube and not the rod. There's certainly no mention in the catalogue of "multi" with regards to the 13 or 14' models
That's a brilliant and detailed reply so thank you so much. I will think you are right. My 13 has no signs of being other than that. Thanks for all the help suggestions and knowledge show. Really confirms why I switched from FM. Thanks to all.

Many years ago I had an excellent match rod.
Sundridge Proton. It also had a detachable butt piece that could be changed to a screw in longer section adding 12 inches to the length.

Probably made around 1960's.

I recently purchased at around £45 a Korum All-rounder rod at 12ft and 1.5 tc.
It says for ledger or float work!!.

I used it on Throop last time on black cap feeder.

It was fantastic with its soft tip for bites and smooth but soft action using a size 18 hook. 5 chub no loses up to 5.15oz. Far better than most quiver tip rods.

Bargain. I wouldn't use a 12ft for float fishing probably.

Last edited:
Many years ago I had an excellent match rod.
Sundridge Proton. It also had a detachable butt piece that could be changed to a screw in longer section adding 12 inches to the length.

Probably made around 1960's.

I recently purchased at around £45 a Korum All-rounder rod at 12ft and 1.5 tc.
It says for ledger or float work!!.

I used it on Throop last time on black cap feeder.

It was fantastic with its soft tip for bites and smooth but soft action using a size 18 hook. 5 chub no loses up to 5.15oz. Far better than most quiver tip rods.

Bargain. I wouldn't use a 12ft for float fishing probably.
My step dad has an old sundridge feeder rod. It’s not 60’s but it’s old. Cross weave carbon fibre but the best thing is the quivers slot into the but cap then slide inside the handle. It’s awesome.
It’s got it’s own built in alarm too cos if he ain’t concentrating on the tip you can hear the other tips tapping inside the butt every time he gets a knock. Great rod.

My step dad has an old sundridge feeder rod. It’s not 60’s but it’s old. Cross weave carbon fibre but the best thing is the quivers slot into the but cap then slide inside the handle. It’s awesome.
It’s got it’s own built in alarm too cos if he ain’t concentrating on the tip you can hear the other tips tapping inside the butt every time he gets a knock. Great rod.
I have seen something like that Richard, in classic rod articles or such like. Seemed sensible to me too. Might try to aspire today if I can brave the wind.

Back