• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mullet

Dave Taylor

A friend of mine took this pic of the mullet in the harbour today,...as I was hurriedly getting the bread mash ready he sent me another email saying that they had cunningly shoaled up next to the "no fishing,"sign!!

picture.php

They are often round the pier and on the Tidal section of the Stour bud. Take a walk through Christchurch down the back of the church, 100s of them at the right time of year, can't fish for them in that location either though.

Interesting Stephen,..I shall have to go and have a shifty at them.
Often had them swim round my legs when wading the lower Royalty in the autumn but didn't realise they were present in such large numbers in the harbour.
ATB Dave

I can't remember exactly where, think it's Man O War Cove. They come right in taking the fly larva from the seaweed. Not tried myself but apparently you can float fish maggot for them there quite successfully. Do you have an RDAA membership?

That brings back memories Dave, as a teenager me and a few mates used to catch a coach from Ruislip down to Christchurch every summer holiday.We used to stay in Royalty view,one year some older lads also staying, said to us give up the barbel fishing and come and catch some mullet.We used small mepps spinners with harbour rag.I had 8 thinlipped mullet,my mate had 7 the other lads caught none,they did not invite us again. A few years on and we used to hire a punt from Chubby Keynes and go exploring.My first thicklipped mullet did an 80 yd run across the harbour then turned into a mid double common.I thought i had hooked the mother of all mullet,there were a lot of carp in there at the time,

No RDAA ticket Stephen,...I was debating whether to get one for next season then I can fish most of the Stour from the harbour upto Wimbourne.
Trouble is that with my current club and syndicate books, I'm struggling to get round all the venues as it is!
I've fished Man O' War bay a few times,...the walk nearly killed me!

That brings back memories Dave, as a teenager me and a few mates used to catch a coach from Ruislip down to Christchurch every summer holiday.We used to stay in Royalty view,one year some older lads also staying, said to us give up the barbel fishing and come and catch some mullet.We used small mepps spinners with harbour rag.I had 8 thinlipped mullet,my mate had 7 the other lads caught none,they did not invite us again. A few years on and we used to hire a punt from Chubby Keynes and go exploring.My first thicklipped mullet did an 80 yd run across the harbour then turned into a mid double common.I thought i had hooked the mother of all mullet,there were a lot of carp in there at the time,

Great story Mark,..they say you never know what you are going to latch into out there. My wife used to be adept at catching mullet with floatfished bread.and she never lets me forget it,.. I told her it must be the pheromones !

No RDAA ticket Stephen,...I was debating whether to get one for next season then I can fish most of the Stour from the harbour upto Wimbourne.
Trouble is that with my current club and syndicate books, I'm struggling to get round all the venues as it is!
I've fished Man O' War bay a few times,...the walk nearly killed me!

Indeed, including the harbour from Stanpit. RDAA have a lot of water and a lot of it is rarely fished.

Back