• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

More rolling meat

T

Trevor Davies

Can you roll meat in a powerful weirpool or below rapids?

I take it you would just have to use sufficient weight on the hook/ above the hook to ensure the meat reaches the bottom before being washed down stream by the force of the flow?

Really interested in trying this method out this coming season and have read various threads on this site which has really whetted my appetite.

Roll on the new season (pun intended!)

Trevor

On the Barbel Even Closer DVD Stu Morgan rolls some worms round a Thames weirpool with only a light ledger....IMO all you need is enough weight to get the bait down to the bottom and no more - after all, you want the bait to waft about and move with the flow as naturally as is possible.

cheers

Paul

The surface water is moving much faster than the water at the river bed. By having a bow in the line this will help stop the bait being swept away too fast.

If you drop in right next to the sill - within a foot or less - lead & bait can be taken down to the river bed very quickly by the downward pressure of the circulating water. Working downstream with the flow is then fairly simple. You don`t need a huge lead, but expect to lose lots of weights & hooklinks in the snags present in a lot of places. Disposable weights & a lighter hooklength are a good idea.

Hi Trevor,

Nice to see a decent post on here getting started, was starting to feel the site was becoming stagnated again, like the 'old' days:)

From what I remember, I found it best to let out a decent bow in the line to allow the weight to fall through the water on a slack line, then start to slowly tighten up to keep in touch with the weight and bait.
I have not tried to cast right in tight to the weir sill before, but it has been said that it is possible to somehow wash a bait in right under the sill/foaming water, but I always thought the tail of a weirpool was the best place to intercept Barbel?

Without wishing to sound too critical Julian, I was wondering how you can claim this as being the first decent post for a while...when you obviously didn't understand what the post was actually about :eek:

The question was about the viabillity of the ROLLING method of presenting meat to a barbel in fast water, as in a weir pool or the tail of rapids.

Personally I think it possible, but the level of tackle loss in a such a naturally snaggy environment as a weirpool is likely to make it impractical in the long run. However, using plasticine as a weight (as described by Ray Walton) may possibly allow you to pull free of snags....at least some of the time :D

Got one or 2 areas on the Trent that i really fancy trying out this method just need to get my stuff sorted and buy a few bits and bobs.

Trevor

Back