• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mono/ Braid Actual B/S

T

Trevor Davies

Should we choose our Mono/ Braid on what the manufacturers claim their product breaks at or what it actually breaks at by looking at the below or similar sites?

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/line_tests.htm

Started using braid for my mainline recently and want to add a buffer in the way of a mono hooklength (going to be a combi link) due to the lack of stretch in the braid. The line i'm thinking of has a stated B/S of 10lb but when tested it actually breaks at over 15lb!!!

Cheers

Trevor

Trev,

The general consensus of opinion is, go by like for like diameters mate.

i.e. if you usually use around 10lb b/s mono - you'll be looking at around 0.30mm diameter in braid.

This will equate to between 20-30lb in braid, depending on the brand.

Rough guide, many will use or have other ideas on this!

I've just popped this 'edit' on to mention, stated breaking strains and 'tested' breaking strains of braid will differ greatly from brand to brand, much more so than mono. Don't get too hung up on this, as many contributing factors will and can effect this situation to a lesser or greater degree in 'your' own fishing methods and practices. It's also effected by the venues you fish too.

Dazza.

Last edited:
i've just received 3000 yrds of big game clear in 10lb, i don't know what that breaks at?

David

I would say that it will go lighter than the stated 10lb as looking on the Tackle Box guide all those they tested went below what was stated by the maker.

Trevor

Dave,

I've used Big Game Clear for many, many years mate.

The 10lb b/s is 0.30mm in diameter - or there abouts, a gnats todger different at best!

And if memory serves - actual tested breaking is approaching 13.5 lbs.

The 12lb b/s version, actually breaks near 18lb!

The 15lb b/s breaks at over 22lb!

I have seen charts that contradict this - but they are totally misleading. As they state diameters that Berkley have never manufactured and/or released Big Game in! And for that matter, it states on the actually box or spool!

Dazza.

Last edited:
I've only just looked at Trev's link in his opening post.

Sure enough, that chart is also totally wrong in it's quotes for Big Game - it's not even the same as they print in their line test chart in their 2010 catalogue !! :eek:

Dazza.

Yes Dave, didn't think I was too far out, off top off my head.

I still use it in many breaking strains - it's cheap and I'm cheap!

It's a very tough, work horse of a line. Or I've found it so these many years.

There are other good lines - but not many at that price.

That being the cast, I can afford to change it regularly throughout the season - something that is very important to me and my fishing confidence with all my lines whatever the brand.

Daz.

Certain line manufacturers like Ultima measure the lines knot strength rather than just the linear line strength.
Which IMO must be a consideration well worth considering.

The issue of mis-measurements in lines strength and diameter's should surely be an area that trading standards would be the best body to investigate?

Then again how many actually bother to inform them of their concerns...... Not many!!
Me I made a complaint to my local branch about some Italian line I put on my son's reel. Stated b.s 6lb linear strength 3lb 2oz, didn't bother testing knot strength as pointless as it was so s**t I re-spooled the reel straight away.
Surprise surprise my complaint was the first one ever made at the Oxford branch.

Trevor, the point worthy of most consideration with regards braids is abrasion resistance, most are poor. The fine diameters of stuff like fireline, coupled with its underrated BS, make it an appealing proposition, but run against anything with hard edges, IE rocks, then it is likely to fail, far quicker than an equivalent BS mono. Its fine in snag free, and weedy water, but not good in the rough stuff, be warned!!!!
peter

A vote for Big Game clear here too.
Been using it in 10lb for 3 seasons, haven't lost a fish since, a b**ger to pull for a break when snagged. Total confidence, nice and limp too.

Gotta go with Berkley Whiplash, diameter in 30lb is 0.10, been on it longer than i can remember now and i dont change it very often either, i'll probably get slated for this but i have kept it on a spool for a good 4 or 5 years with no ill effects....then you can just rewind it onto another spool and use the bit thats been unused. and before you ask , yes i do fish a fair bit( rather a lot usually:D)

its just a damn good braid, maybe not what you want if your river is full of rocks tho.... luckily the B.A isn't:D

power pro

Kev,

I do exactly the same as you but with 20lb. power pro which as a diameter of 6lb. mono, it has never let me down and i have been using it for a good many seasons apart from a short spell where braid was banned from a club that i once belonged to:eek: Cant see myself using anything else on the rivers that i fish....

Kev,

I do exactly the same as you but with 20lb. power pro which as a diameter of 6lb. mono, it has never let me down and i have been using it for a good many seasons apart from a short spell where braid was banned from a club that i once belonged to:eek: Cant see myself using anything else on the rivers that i fish....
you know you want that ticket back john.....:p

I dont know about that Dave, are you back down there next term?

i don't know yet john, it might your bit.
the braid bit dosn't bother me, i only use if pike fishing.

Last edited:
Should we choose our Mono/ Braid on what the manufacturers claim their product breaks at or what it actually breaks at by looking at the below or similar sites?

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/line_tests.htm

Started using braid for my mainline recently and want to add a buffer in the way of a mono hooklength (going to be a combi link) due to the lack of stretch in the braid. The line i'm thinking of has a stated B/S of 10lb but when tested it actually breaks at over 15lb!!!

Cheers

Trevor

I like braid a lot. In my experience you need to up the breaking strain from 10 or 12lb. Although braid might break at the stated b.s with a steady pull, a quick pull can break it relatively easier. Compare it to how cotton behaves. The "shock" leader you suggest might get over this. Good advice from the guys suggesting the heavier breaking strains.

Last edited:
Instead of talking about BS, why dont you test it and your knots yourselves. It is easy, all you need is a your rig and a bucket, tie your rig attach in whatever way you tie your rig to the bucket, pour water in until it snaps and weigh bucket. Simple.
I did loads of testing during last closed season, and its put loads of fish on the bank for me.

Jon

Back