• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mitchell Match 440A

There is a way round the 'bumping of fish' with the Mitchell, which takes practice. Simplistically, after flicking te bait out, partially close the bail arm by turning the handle, and finger the spool from above the bail arm. This still allows line to peel off, finger the spool to hit a bite and then reeling to close the bail properly, without a bump

Like many of us, my tackle over the years has built up to a ridiculous armoury of carp, barbel, pike, et al, gear. But! amongst all of this is my 31yr old 440a Match. Even with my lovely centre pins, it is my most treasured possession. Every spring it comes out for my big tench hunt on the float. I love it although I'm not sure I'd use it for trotting ;)

Ian

For all the years I have been using mine . I cant remember ever bumping of a fish when using it for trotting . There might of been the odd one .
All I did was leave the bale arm open and used my finger to control the line of the spool when trotting and when I had a bite and put my finger against the spool to stop the line paying of and at the same time struck and once I knew the fish was on . I turned the handle to close the bale arm and played the fish .

You are right David, it was a recognised problem way back when they were new. It frustrated me when I had one of them many years back. There are some good things about such reels, but most of the ooohing and aaahing is misty eyed, 'those were the days', seen through rose tinted glasses nonsense.

Cheers, Dave.

You are right about the oohing and aaahing Dave- that's what I did when I found mine after so many lost years. It made my tummy go funny too and I literally swelled with pride. Plus, you have given me a good idea about a colour to use when I get it resprayed.

I got 2 reels one black one and a blue one which were imported from France and if memory serves me right , They were cheaper than the UK model .
At the time Mitchell put out a statement saying any one buying the French reel in the UK they would not honour the guarantee and would refuse to repair them if there was a fault with the reel .
Brilliant reels for trotting a float :)

I've done it the other way round. I've exported mine to France :D

Interestingly, all the auctions for Mitchell 440s on French eBay are British sellers. But if you want a 'reel' bargain look at ebay.de ;)

You are right about the oohing and aaahing Dave- that's what I did when I found mine after so many lost years. It made my tummy go funny too and I literally swelled with pride. Plus, you have given me a good idea about a colour to use when I get it resprayed.

Love it Howard :D

That's one of the best excuses for a beer belly I have ever heard Howard. And, I wouldn't have it sprayed that colour if I were you...a certain Mr. Aston will nick it on sight if you do :D

Give it up Howard, use the refurb money to buy a decent reel :D

Cheers, Dave.

That's one of the best excuses for a beer belly I have ever heard Howard. And, I wouldn't have it sprayed that colour if I were you...a certain Mr. Aston will nick it on sight if you do :D

Give it up Howard, use the refurb money to buy a decent reel :D

Cheers, Dave.

I can't Dave, I caught a couple of 2lb plus Roach from the River Marden with it god knows how many years ago. However, I have just placed an order for a Chris Lythe pin- just need to be very, very, patient now.

Back