• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mink

Paul Hamer

Just after some advice please. Is it legal to trap mink?, do you need to get permission? There is a few mink on a river outside work and we are sure the fish levels have gone down.

Not just the fish, but birds - ducks, coots, moorhens, songbirds - and frogs - make that anything and everything that crawls, swims or moves - will have decreased in number. Real menace, mink. Big purge on the horrors in some areas and on some waters. Unclear myself as to permissions etc to trap them now (though I once helped the old Ministry of Agriculture mink man in Wales when I was a youngster and still am tying flies with some of the pelts of the mink trapped (as for the items that a couple of old girlfriends wore that were made of the things...), but someone here will know.

Cheers Paul, your right about everything else on the river. A good few weeks ago when the ducks had chicks we counted one female with 19 chicks:eek: which is a lot, not sure if they were all hers but! There are three left now, we are sure the mink have had the majority but cant be sure. The female duck was going beserk last week for a good few minutes, then we spotted two mink along the bank, little gits.

Just after some advice please. Is it legal to trap mink?, do you need to get permission? There is a few mink on a river outside work and we are sure the fish levels have gone down.
If you are anywhere near the Teme, contact the Clifton on Teme hunt. There may also be a mink hound pack near you that can do the business in the most effective and humane manner, ie hunting with hounds, which is still legal for mink. Otherwise you can set traps that have been aproved by Defra with landowners permission. You should contact Defra for advice.

Vermin and on the hit list. A friend of mine is whipper in of the local mink hound pack. They are mad, not the dogs the followers. Jump in the river to get to Islands etc.
A discreet trap is probably the way to go though and a shot gun. Make sure its dead before you open the trap!
Dave

nothing a good air rifle wont correct paul........ssssshhhhh....:rolleyes:

Seen a few here on the Trent, little blighters aren't afraid of anything, they may not like my Daystate .177 though 

Cheers,

Steven

In my completely lawless and do-what-you-want teenage years in the late 1960s and early '70s, living by a bit of unpatrolled Welsh salmon river, I used to set night lines (dead minnow, strong size-4 hook in mouth, wire baitneedled through the body to reappear by the tail) for eels.

Used to catch a few good uns (into a frying pan or into a recipe that, later, my whizz of a cook of a girlfriend had in mind).

Handlined in a very dead mink one morning.

Collect the pelts and make Gaz a romper suit for the winter he looks good in black!:rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D Bloodyhell, I'd need a few:eek: I read on the link which was mentioned before that it is illegal to release a live trapped mink:D, so you would have to kill the little gits.

little blighters aren't afraid of anything 

Had one stroll over my legs while sat on the river bank waiting for a bite just a few weeks back, had em nick my deadbaits while on the Yorkshire Ouse and last year one nicked my tuna sarnies out of my bag while on the Ribble! B@stard things . . . . . .

Back