• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

midgie spray

Hi.. I have suffered anaphylaxis.... ( think I spelt it right ) due to insect bites, and ended up hospitalised, not a million miles off almost dead....I was recommended to use Jungle Formula, available from Chemists and some supermarkets, also, a lot more pleasant than spraying yourself with 50% Deet, try the following..

Eating marmite.
Taking vitamin B 1 tablets, or B 12 tablets,
Lavender oil rubbed on the skin,
Citronella wipes.

It seems that vitamin B as above, which is also in marmite, makes your body give off some sort of odour that midges dont like, as does Lavendar and Citronella..
I am off to bonny Scotland next month for a weeks loch fishing, Scotland is renown for biting bugs the size of taxicabs, so I am trying all the above, plus, I have an Epipen, which I always carry in case of emergencies..

Oh, and I have a midge net, like a beekeepers hat, bought in Australia, to be sure to be sure.

Dave

Avon skin so soft, an Armed Forces favourite.

Tried that a few years ago after people raving about it on here, bought 4 bottles of the stuff and spent the entire summer being eaten alive, therefore I have relegated that one to an urban myth!!! I think there are still 2 bottles in the cupboard somewhere!!

I use the 50% DEET boots own brand spray or lotion, not particularly nice smelling but have never, ever been bitten with it on, and I really do get bitten, they love a bit of lard!!

Avon Skin so Soft dry oil spray, the greeny-blue bottle not the pink one works for little wife and myself. Neithr of us have been bitten by mozzies or midges when using it in the UK, France and Cyprus. We have also given away loads of bottles to friends and no one has said that it doesn't work.

For less then three quid a bottle it is worth a try.

With all the mozzie sprays look for the active ingredient. You want either DEET or Picaridin. Both are equally effective. DEET lasts a bit longer per application but smells vile and will eat plastics. Picaridin is a bit of a funny one as when it starts to wear off it actually starts to attract so you need to make sure you keep it applied.

Jungle Formula Extra Stength contains DEET, not all of the Jungle Formula range however does and the ones that don't are next to useless, check the labels. Avon Skin so Soft contains Picaridin , although I'm not familar with all of the range so again check the labels.

Over here I've been using Cutter Skinsations which contains Picaridin and that has been very effective as long as I re-apply it every 4 or 5 hours

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Jungle formula as above. However if you are particularly attractive to the damn things, buy yourself a mosquito headnet such as this:

Thatchreed Lightweight Mosquito Head Net

You may get questions like "are you off to south east Asia for a holiday then?" when buying it, but they work wonders. One piece of advice.....if you chew gum, don't forget to lift it up before spitting out! A colleague of mine got so used to wearing it that he forgot he had it on, and then spent ages pulling the sticky mess of the mesh.:)

One word - Smidge!

Damian

Deet, Deet, Deet.........just dont let it near anything other than skin...it particularly likes to melt the rubber nosepieces on sunglasses, but mossies hate it....oh and keep it out of your eyes and mouth and wash your hands before eating after you apply the spray...

Its fine honest;)

Avon skin so soft, an Armed Forces favourite.

Another vote from me. Avon often do half price deals. And a big plus point, the ladies love it. As for the mossies/midges, the only thing that I can imagine is that they get their little snorkels filled with the stuff.

Another vote for the Avon skin-so-soft. The white plastic bottle, with the bluey/green spray cap. Remember reading an article in AT by Keith Arthur, who claimed that it is used by the British SAS no less. It makes you smell a bit girlie, but hey ho what a gay day. :D

Citronella oil.

You can by it from most Chemists.

Just splash it all over.

No chemicals, so no risk of melting your head off, or destroying those expensive baits you've brought when you handle them to hair rig or hook....

Steve

Back