• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

microwaved boillies.

Same as Michael - just make sure you pierce them first. Personally would not recommend it as it completely messes with the nutritional profile/texture. Alternatively, use ingredients like antartic krill, shrimp meal, casinates, etc to increase buoyancy or insert foam/polystyrene & hand roll boiling for a smaller duration looping with floss for the hair.

Cheers, Jon

Has anyone ever tried to microwave their homemade boillies instead of boiling them.Just curious really.

Hi Nigel,

As already said, not a good idea to microwave rolled boilies, unless you actually want pop-ups, because that is what you are likely to end up with unless you are lucky.

However, there is a way to produce some excellent baits using a microwave, if you wan't to experiment.....and it sure as heck saves on rolling time. I have mentioned this before, but as you have asked.... :p

Start of with perhaps a two egg mix of your chosen boilie base, additives, flavours and so on, and work into a paste as usual. Next, on a flat surface, form the stiffish paste into a smooth, rectangular brick shape....ideally, roughly 50 to 60mm square by 150 to 200mm long. Now, wrap it carefully in cling film, making several turns around it, tucking the ends in as you go, to well and truly seal it in. It should look like a neatly wrapped parcel when you are done :D

The next bit is where you have to experiment. Start with the microwave on high, blasting the brick for 15/20 seconds at a time, turning it until all four sides have been done, feeling it carefully each time to see if the outside is fairly firm. The actual successful time can vary with the mix and the size and shape of the brick....hence why I say experiment. What you end up with is a block from which baits can be cut, broken or torn irregularly, whatever you choose. Depending on cooking time, the baits can be floaters or semi buoyant on the outside, varying in degrees towards the centre to soft and almost raw. Therefore, you will have a variety of unusually shaped baits, with anything from fast sinking to pop-up buoyancy, and great flavour leakage, depending which part of the brick you take them from.

All I will say is that if a decent mix is used, carp love it....though obviously it is more suited to close up work than long range casting :p So....will barbel love it equally? .....there is no reason I know of why not.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Back