• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Meat

Jim Collins

Just a quick question. Do you prefer to hair rig meat, or hook it in the normal way, and what if any advantage do you see in the method you use? Take care Jim.:)

If I'm specifically fishing meat then it's a size 2 buried in a big lump. The big hook keeps the bait on no trouble, smaller hooks see it drop off more easily. The only time I hair rig it is if I change to it from pellet/boilie baits. I'm not convinced of any major advantage to hair rigging meat if I'm honest but others may disagree.

Hi Jim,

It depends weather you are fishing static or roving/rolling.
A bare hook will obviously get caught up on any weed far more often than one that is buried. If you are burying the hook, you really need to be holding the rod all the time and feeling for bites. These are generally a tiny pluck and not the 6 foot twitch you can expect when hair rigging!

Hope that is of some help?

Regards,

Jeff

Many thanks for the replys lads, it's much appreciated. Myself I always use a large hook and place a piece of grass under the bend to stop it pulling back through rather than a boilie stop, because I think it looks more natural to the fish. If I've coated the meat and given it a quick fry it toughens it up sufficiently not to need the grass, but the I always leave the hook point showing if I've done that. Jim:).

Back