• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

meat fishing

Gary Wagstaff

tried the search there was a post about meat fishing and using fuse wire to hold it in place can anybody help or post again how it was done
thanks gaz

tried the search there was a post about meat fishing and using fuse wire to hold it in place can anybody help or post again how it was done
thanks gaz

Westy's trick was to twist the 30amp rated fuse wire:rolleyes: until it's the required length on the bend of the hook and push meat on, I think he left some untwisted wire to 'splay' out to hold the meat secure at the base. He did it in about 3 seconds or something, it was a Mat Hayes feature on the Teme a few years back...could be on UTube?

It was copper earth from 1mm TC&E! The hooks were green, probably from verdigris. Anyway a crud set-up compared to the hair rigged options now.

I think Westy uses a bit of copper earth wire from 30A twin and earth, (Cooker cable).

I use a wire spring tied on the hair and screw it into the meat. Make the spring from any old wire (the stuff I made the last lot out of is some soft steel wire which came from a building site) and coil it round a former of your own choice to the diameter you want, I find a 5/16ths bolt is ideal. but you could go bigger or smaller as is your preference.

For a long ish cast when "chuck and wait" could try pva mesh wrapped around hook and hair rigged meat if keeping it on is the issue.
No good for rolling.
If not hair rigged some will wrap lead wire around shank of hook to make meat sink fast in a flow when freelining / rolling

You will still catch eels though !

Westy's way was to tie a normal hair rig, with a loop in the end of the hair, then attach a length of wire by passing it through the loop and twisting it.

He could then push the wire through the meat, pulling it out of the other side, bending it, and pushing it back into the meat.

The idea was that this could be done in seconds, on the bank, in the dark without the need of a head torch etc.

The wire needs to be flexible, so it can be straightened and bent many times without breaking.

I use to make mine up with 30a fuse wire.

Steve

I sometimes use hair stops but I mostly use the nearest grass .idont cast to the horizon and this method is easy to use and dare I say it cheap.i once had 16 barbel so I am happy with this
Albert

Fox meat stops for me, used with no worries on a flooded tidal trent without the thought "has it come off" could also make your own using anti tangle sleeves and korum pellet stops which is what il be doing when i run out of the fox meat stops

I sometimes use hair stops but I mostly use the nearest grass .idont cast to the horizon and this method is easy to use and dare I say it cheap.i once had 16 barbel so I am happy with this
Albert

That's the way I was taught Albert, push the hook through, twist it 90 Deg and put a stem of grass on the bend of the hook to support it on the cast.

That's the way I was taught Albert, push the hook through, twist it 90 Deg and put a stem of grass on the bend of the hook to support it on the cast.

Same as, Albert and Ade....I think everyone over a certain age :)p) started out that way...and it must be said, it works. However, Wayne's post puts things into perspective for me. Up until fairly recently (before the cray menace was quite so horrendous) anything would do on my tiny river, because gentle lobs are the order of the day, and the current is minimal. The type of rivers Wayne fishes are a whole different prospect though, so I guess once again it's horses for courses. What I might see as perhaps OTT, even a load of fuss about nowt, is actually essential on some rivers.

Cheers, Dave.

Same as, Albert and Ade....I think everyone over a certain age :)p) started out that way...and it must be said, it works. However, Wayne's post puts things into perspective for me. Up until fairly recently (before the cray menace was quite so horrendous) anything would do on my tiny river, because gentle lobs are the order of the day, and the current is minimal. The type of rivers Wayne fishes are a whole different prospect though, so I guess once again it's horses for courses. What I might see as perhaps OTT, even a load of fuss about nowt, is actually essential on some rivers.

Cheers, Dave.
Very well said Dave, all be it if fishing meat on a still water i use spagetti. The main problem is the diameter of line and the cast just rips through the meat.
Wayne

Very well said Dave, all be it if fishing meat on a still water i use spagetti. The main problem is the diameter of line and the cast just rips through the meat.
Wayne

You are probably already aware of this Wane, but if you really want to launch meat to the horizon on a still water, put your whole rig....hook, bait, lead and all, into a solid PVA bag with a handful of pellets, tighten the bag with the lead centralised at the front, shape it all to an aerodynamic shape by 'lick and stick', then let rip...job's a good 'un :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back