• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Maun Valley Wensum Centrepin build quality?

Neil Blood

I have one the above reels and use it when fishing 'big meat', its also a joy to use.

I do however have a couple issues with the build quality. The first one I received had a pronounced wobble and the reel seat, wasn't parallel to the drum, so it went back. The second reel, which I have now, also had a slight wobble and I believe over time it has become slightly worse (or perhaps that's just because I keep staring at it)? It also has a couple of machining scuffs, which clearly were not properly deburred prior to the reel being anodised.

I'm currently considering sending it to Mill Tackle (who built it) to see if anything can be done about the wobble? It doesn't cause an issue with the reel's performance and I didn't buy it to polish and put in a cabinet; however it bugs me that a £375 reel does this.

Any other owners of this reel, had any similar issues?

Blimey.... you wouldn’t expect that from a £400 pin
Get it sent back and express it’s the second one you’ve had with the issue.
Improvements can’t be made if the people aren’t aware of common problems.
As for burrs and poor finish that’s just total laziness. Massive pet hate of mine when people can’t finish something properly. Especially a premium product.

I've never actually owned or used one, but nearly every one I've ever seen on eBay has mentioned wobble, but also that it doesn't affect the reel in use. Seems to be a general issue with that specific model, as other MVT and Mills builds don't appear to have the same issue (or poor manufacturing for that matter). I don't know enough about the technicalities of 'pin making to suggest what exactly causes it or how it might be fixed, but if Garry Mills can't fix it then no one can - the man works wonders.

Back