• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Making Mesh Feeders

T

Trevor Davies

For those of you that make your own feeders where do you get your curlers from (assuming that's what you use?)?

I want to make some decent sized feeders but all the curlers i've seen are small, bring back the eighties and big hair is what i say!

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Steve

Where do you get your mesh from, DIY store or garden centre for a guess?

Was thinking about using curlers for ease of construction more than anything as i can be a lazy so-and-so!

Cheers

Trevor

Evening Trevor,

I got some sheets of galvanised mesh from Wicks just off the Victoria embankment (opposite Pork Farms) last year. Price was reasonable. Another alternative mention here last year was 'Leaf Guard' which is a thicker black plastic mesh - I bought that too from Wicks but is slightly thicker mesh; I thought might cause too much drag on the flows of the Trent. Not used either yet.

Cheers, Jon

Hi Jon

Had a look at Wickes and their mesh looks bang on. Looked at the leaf guard before and felt that the holes were too big.

Will be buying some of the mesh today and asking the wife to get me some lead from her work so should be well cheap!

Cheers

Trevor

Brought mine from a local farm store.

It sounds like the same stuff as Wicks.

I use to cut it and bend the ends to fit into a mould, then add a wire loop and pour in the lead.
Let the lead set, then while it was hot I would dust on some powdercoat.

Job done.

Steve

I tried the Wickes leaf guard aabout 2 years ago, great at first, then after a few sessions it started to break on the joins, maybe a quality control problem. I now use black 42mm waste pipe, at about £2 for 3m = a good seasons worth. Tell you what Trevor, stick with it you cannot beat home made leads, mine look a bag of sh@te, but very effective.

Good luck

Why would you want to buy them, when you can make them yourself for a fraction of the cost?

Its so easy that if your even just slightly D-I-Y inclined, you'll do it no problem Trevor.

I got some 'hard' wood and cut out some rectangle slots to suit the sizes of feeder I wanted, then its just a case of spending a couple of hours in the shed making them up.........

You can even customise them to your exact requirements. I use to double the lead up on some and make then 6 or 7oz with huge mesh, so I could use them like a bait dropper, but fish them out in the middle of the river.
Two of three cast and you had a pint of bait on the bottom.

Steve

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Really don't fancy melting lead as i've heard some real horror stories so i'll be asking the wife to 'acquire' some from work and cutting the stuff to size.

Cheers

Trevor

Trevor there really isnt anything to be scared of, you just need a good heat source, either a gas ring, or a dual fuel stove and an old pan. simples, just make sure you dont get it near water. The other month my teenage lad was happily making them for me with some guidance.

Is it safe to melt lead that has been powder coated?

Got loads of old lead off trashed feeders that is just going to waste.

Cheers

Trevor

Just ensure you have a well ventilated room. Just in case there are any hazardous fumes.

Back