• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

maggots

Keith,
I don't doubt it for one moment. I was just using the relatively recent articles, the only evidence I could find, to back up the still used argument. I honestly thought the stuff was banned when I was still at school.

I remember using the old bronze maggots in my match fishing days, always found them best for chub, i even used to dye them myself!! stopped that after finding out the dye was carcinogenic!! Reds were always my choice for perch but for barbel i have always found whites to be the best.

I got some mixed maggots from Davis tackle recently and was amazed at the colours of some of them. I suppose that these are the discos? When I went in the next day I bought whites and will continue to do so, especially after reading this thread. I knew that the bronze dye was dodgy but did not know that red maggot dye was also poisonous.

This winter, I shall be mainly trotting white maggots...............

I used a disco maggot for bait the last time I went to Ibiza..didn't catch much:D

I thought the use of Chrysoidine had been stopped years ago for dying maggots . I know my local tackle shop no longer uses Chrysoidine dyed maggots

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1443031/pdf/bmjcred00524-0025b.pdf

Chrysoidine was banned years ago i bet over twenty !

I used to use bronze maggots dyed with it and they were top knotch in the day and used to out fish most other maggots where i fished

they then came up with another dye and that is probably what they are still using today but i remember they never really looked as good everyone was complaining at the time but there was nothing that could be done about it

some of the old hands at the time bought up a few tins of the dye to have a stock but that will of soon gone

But i have had a troll around and found this on another web forum its part of an article and it seems some are still using it

Chrysoidine still in common use

Saturday 04th February 2006

An investigation undertaken by Midland Angler and Southern Angler has revealed that chrysoidine, the bronze maggot dye linked to cancer, is still in common use.

The monthly magazines have spoke to several tackle dealers who admitted to using it in the shop regularly, both for bronze maggots and so called ‘disco’ pinkies.

More worryingly, some maggot suppliers are still using the powerful dye, which is added as powder to white maggots and thus easily transferred onto an angler’s skin. From there is can be absorbed through the skin and easily transferred to the mouth. In fact it’s fair to say it’s in common use, something many anglers out there will find alarming.

Although a direct carcinogenic link has never been proven, chrysoidine is strongly suspected of causing cancer and a leading dye expert I spoke to was horrified that it’s still in use.

Rhadamine (fluoro) maggots and auromine (yellow maggots) are also highly suspect dyes that are still used today. The difference with these is that they are added to the meat which the maggots eat, and so are not transferred to anglers. However, the investigations revealed that they are classified as 'harmful to aquatic life'.

One maggot breeder said that if the government knew what dyes are being used, coloured maggots would be banned. Holland and Belgium have already banned coloured maggots. The full story is in the issue of Midland Angler and Southern Angler out next week.

Sean

Last edited:
On the Hants Avon if using maggot I always go for red. I have had a number of doubles on them as well as my Chub PB of 8lb 4oz.:)

Fascinating reading guys, if a little unerving christ alone knows what will happen when pellets are found to be carcinogenic ;)

Plundered sainsburys earlier this morning as it goes ;) spam with cheese as well i saw? Any good? looked a bit funky to me

Back