• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Maggots

Bait and wait is undoubtedly a very effective method given the angler has the time to put in. It also gives time for careful double checking of rigs, clutches etc while waiting. Other baits can be used, not just maggots, any swim that has been prepared properly and rested can produce instant bites.

Over what period would you guys leave a swim before putting hook bait in?

Over what period would you guys leave a swim before putting hook bait in?

Normally a couple of hours minimum, maybe a bit more. Fished this method yesterday without a touch, the trouble with declining barbel stocks is unless you can see the fish, or fish activity, it can be an expensive hit and miss approach. With hemp and maybe just a very few hookbait samples it's not too bad, but 5 or 6 pints of maggots or casters is not a cheap day so if possible, be sure your swim contains fish!

Normally a couple of hours minimum, maybe a bit more. Fished this method yesterday without a touch, the trouble with declining barbel stocks is unless you can see the fish, or fish activity, it can be an expensive hit and miss approach. With hemp and maybe just a very few hookbait samples it's not too bad, but 5 or 6 pints of maggots or casters is not a cheap day so if possible, be sure your swim contains fish!

Which river Alex?

Which river Alex?

Warks Avon. Third trip this season, though the others were just very short sessions, and not yet seen a barbel. It can be a bit up and down on this stretch so not too surprised. Not quite in the same league as the Wasing estate for appearing fishless though!

i was a big maggot fan in the 70s and had many multiple catches on them.i have not bought a maggot since 1980 and i catch a few few on the modern baits and am quite happy with that.there is no doubt that once you get them on the maggot feeding you are in for a good day.i used to use a gallon at least.mixed with white crumb to get the feeder across the severn.those were the days.
albert

Have a look at the seymo xl baitdropper,or make your own.And if you hunt around you may find maggots in bulk from a wholesaler for as little as £1 per pint.I like to bulk them out with hemp as well.

or you can bulk them out with cooked rice.:D

I have found maggots to be the best bait November onwards on the Ribble,when the river is low clear and cold,I simply use a large maggot feeder and 8 or 10 maggots on a hair rigged maggot clip, the triangular clips seem to work best,cant remember who makes them though.

Dave

I agree that these ones seem to work better, they are made by Fox and also come in sml/med/lge, but I tend to use small, can still get quite a few grubs on it :)

Cheers,

Steven

Back