• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Maggot throwing sticks

Chris Jones

I've got my bits of old landing net handle, pole sections and hacksaw at the ready (I knew they'd come in handy one day!;):eek:). However, rather than hacking them to death blindly, has anyone done any experimentation on optimal lengths, opening angles, bung depths etc etc?
What were your findings? Anyone come across anything on their travels round the www? Google doesn't seem to reveal much, but I could be searching the wrong terms.

Chris,

Keith Speer has this worked out very well, drop him a PM and he will share his knowledge.

Thanks gents, I did feel that I'd seen Keith mention making and using his own. I'll be damned if I could find anything though. I'll get in touch with him.

I still have the one i made in metalwork 33 years ago.It stands alongside my homemade groundbait chucker consisting of a 6 foot bamboo with a dessert spoon lashed to it.

Speaking of throwing sticks.an old bike pump cut at an angle and a cork glued in .an inch and a half down it makes a good throwing stick.i have used this for years.cut the angle at 45 degrees and try it.i ask of no reward for this tip
Albert:)

Speaking of throwing sticks.an old bike pump cut at an angle and a cork glued in .an inch and a half down it makes a good throwing stick.i have used this for years.cut the angle at 45 degrees and try it.i ask of no reward for this tip
Albert:)
good tip, i have a old one around:)

I made a DIY version of the one shown on that Tight Lines episode with Keith. Using one of those clear tubes that top-two pole sections come in, turned out to be ideal. All you have to do is shape it with a knife then heat over a flame to smooth off any sharp edges. Block the tube with a piece of insulting foam about an inch-and-a-half from the top. I've found it to be both lightweight and effective and much easier to use than a catapult.

drennan, fox, anyone want to make one to sell?
anyone remember bob nudds one handed catapult.

Back