• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Maggot/Groundbait Flavourings

Favourite maggot flavourings of mine are Red Cap, curry powder/turmeric and aniseed. For groundbait, for bream, brasem caramel, for roach, ground coriander seed and everything else, just more fishmeal.

I use Mainline Response pineapple flavour in my casters. I put about a cup full of water in a bait box then a few drops of Pineapple, stir it around and add the casters. I have changed from normal casters to flavoured a number of times and almost immediately started catching good Roach. Garlic or Curry flavoured meat is always a good change bait to normal meat. For many years I used Turmeric on my maggots but having bright orange hands and an orange striped face put me off in the end.

For roach and tench the same Mineline Response Pineapple flavour that Mark mentions above.

For barbel and chub, and sometimes tench I also use Trigga liquid.

But I've had my best two barbel on unflavoured maggots.

There is a tackle shop nearby which is open long hours and on Sunday mornings. Unfortunately, anglers only buy maggots there as a last resort because they are such poor quality and they always come with sawdust - regardless of ones request not to have anything added to them. It doesn't matter how heavy you flavour them the sawdust aroma prevails.

I later discovered the shop keeper makes and sells pet hutches. Needless to say this is his way of getting rid of his tanalised sawdust and wood shavings.

I have never not caught something when using maggots until I used these. Not even bleak came near them.

Back