• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Maggot Feeder Rigs

Mike Window

Senior Member & Supporter
As the weather cools I am using maggot feeders more often for both chub and barbel. However I find I am carrying around too many varieties of feeders and
trying out too many different rigs which means I am spending a lot of time not having bait in the water while I am faffing around.
Thoughts please on whether to use inline or just link feeders and what rigs you find best. Also what are your favourite feeders?
Mike

I use home made open ended feeders, with a plug of groundbait , maggots poured in and another plug of groundbait in the other end. I am sure standard maggot feeders would do the trick, but being a tight Yorkshireman I just use whatever I have to hand as above , it works well , so I never bothered to try anything different .

David

Feeder size depends on what river you're fishing, on the Warwickshire Avon for example, I'd use black caps or drennan block ends, on the Trent Korum combi feeders or Paul Fisk's block ends, which I've added weight on to upto 8oz. Hooklengths generally 4/5 foot flouro combi rigs with size 10 korda kontintal hook, I tend to superglue 4 maggots on the hair, but that's just my preference. Others hook them directly with an artificial maggot aligner.

I use the simplest of rigs using a running ledger link bead trapped between float stops.this gives you a running rig or a semi fixed option
I use 30-50g blackcaps
I then tie a twizzled loop at the end of the mainline to create a boom section to prevent tangles
Then hooklink to the twizzled boom loop - to -loop
Couldn’t be simpler , never tangles and infinitely adjustable
I was using 7lb guru ngauge to 16 or 14 Drennan wide gape for maggots on last chub session
You could go lighter BS but I have snags aplenty and a few wily lumps to contend with if I’m lucky

Korum Combi Feeder in all sizes, sometimes have to add cow leads to the 4.2oz . . .fish a combi rig (fluro/braid) with a mag aligner on a size 6 talon tip or similar and use no more than 5x live maggots direct to the hook . . .always use a mix of reds and whites . . .no idea why

Back