• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Maggot, Caster & Hemp vs Pellets, Groundbait & Boilies??

Steven Palmer

Hi All,

I've read various posts advocating the use of Maggots or Hemp & Caster as an early season bait rather than Pellet, Groundbait & Boilies.

Is this the general considered opinion and is there anything to back it up or is it just personal opinion/preference?

Cheers,

Steven.

mine will be pellet, GB & boilie approach early on along with hemp too, simply because casters are too expensive as you need so many & you just get bitted out on them off the little chub eels etc on them or maggots.
that said though i did have a fair end to last season on 3-4 red maggots on the hook

I just don't get all this early season bait business ! :rolleyes:

Use what you think is best for the situation :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Steven - I think you'll find there are very few general considered opinions relating the barbel angling. I catch on pellets and boilies all year round.

Ian has it right :)

First day last year I fished pellet/boilie & groundbait while a friend fished caster/hemp 50 meters down stream.

I started catching early on both pellet and boilie, where he never had a bite for a couple of hours, apart from small chub.

I think I had about 5 barbel before he moved closer to me and started catching on caster.

As my friend started to catch, my bites stopped on pellet until I scrounged a few feeders full of caster and glued 4 rubber grubs to the hair and caught first cast!!

In summary it seemed that the barbel were there and would feed on what was put in front of them, until casters appeared and they then turned off to other baits!

Same plan for us on Friday at same venue, will be interested to see if we have similar results.

Last edited:
Back