• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Mackerel Oil...

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Mackerel Oil.

Hi I have about a pint of pure Mackerel oil, it came from Ireland about ten years ago, all the bits have sunk to the bottom of the bottle and the oil is reasonably clear.
I have been thinking about maybe making some paste up using the oil, does anybody have any very easy paste recipes that the oil could be utilised in.
My thoughts were to maybe crush some standard Halibut pellets and maybe mix the powder with the oil , hopefully it would make a nice meallable paste that would be good for making paste wraps.

Any other ideas for ingredients ?

I have also used the oil to spice up deadbaits for Pike, but not really sure if it did any good as I was catching as well without the injected oil as with it , I did notice though, that the oil did produce a really visible "patch " on the surface above and downwind of the bait, where it had smoothed out the wavelets .

David

Hi David

Funnily enough, I had my first crack at homemade paste tonight. It was all guess work, but the finished article ended up being the correct consistency and had a good breakdown time - took just over an hour in glass of tepid water, with a few swirls to emulate 'the flow'. It seemed to leak off a fair bit, with some very fine particles becoming detached too. I used Sticky The Krill Active Mix in mine, this usually makes a very stodgy stick-type mix when used just with water. I'd imagine very finely ground pellets would achieve similar results. I had some Elips oil (which like you, was what gave me the idea) and some CSL liquid in the bait cupboard, so I added these too. Have a play about and best of luck!

This made five large satsuma-sized balls, which I froze in zip lock bags.

500g Sticky Krill Active Mix
100ml CSL Liquid
50ml Elips Oil
2 Egg Yolks
1 teaspoon Rock Salt

I used an old mixing machine (I don't use this for domestic purposes) to combine all the ingredients. I'd wear gloves if I was doing it by hand, nothing worse than 'fishing hands' when you haven't actually gone fishing...

Personally I think that if it's 10 years old It is probably rancid even if it doesn't smell that way, great idea but get some fresh oil:rolleyes:

Good point Keith, and one that I did not consider ... however It doesnt smell at all bad, is reasonably clear , and has been stored in a clean sealed jar in a cool cellar .. not sure at all, it wont be a loss to chuck it and maybe start afresh .

What does rancid oil smell like ? I have no idea , but this does not smell bad, or even fishy .

David

I did read that homemade garlic oil can over time become heavily contaminated with botulism. Its probably not worth taking a chance on Ten year old homemade fish oil and your own health .Flavoured oils that you shop buy are refined ,filtered and purified in production, and also have a sell by date, I would not take a chance. You can make flavoured fish/shrimp oil up next season using 1/2 a block of grated Belachan and a shop bought oil very cheaply.

Last edited:
Back