• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lymm anglers Barbel

Julian Brejwo

I've just joined Lymm Angling Club, and am hoping to target Barbel on their River stretches this year. I would really appreciate any pointers from any members to help me with this.

Looking at the information available on the web I think i will have my work cut out on the Bollin and Dane.

The Upper Severn and Vyrnwy look more likely. Please add to the thread or message me with any tips, would be great to get to know people who frequent these rivers before the season begins.

Thanks in advance.

Julian

Join the main Lymm forum and ask on there, typically you'll find a friendly bunch who give good info and advice!

Hi mate im getting that card myself, will be fishing upper severn llandrinio and maybe bicton on the severn aswell, pm me if you are looking to fish there mate.

It's 10 years since I was a member but their most prolific barbel water was The Severn at Atcham. Also The Dane at Manor Farm produced a few.

Hi Julian,nothing wrong with the Dane.its a challenge.i have fished the river since 1954 also the Severn.i am 88 today and hoping to add to my tally when I get chance.to date I have had hundreds of chub to 5lb 4 oz and 156 barbel to 8lb 12ozs.not to brag but to tell you what you want to know the most prolific bait was a 15mm halibut pellet.or the meat as change.you need plenty patience and don't frighten them before you start.sorry about the rant thought it could help
Albert

Many thanks for your help so far and happy birthday Albert. If im still fishing at your age I'll be a happy man! :D All the tips re greatfully accepted, I'm not really a novice angler, just never tried these ones before.

I quite fancy the Dane now, so think that is where I will concertrate this year. It sounds promising and it the closest one to me!

Its quite a small river so im expecting a roving approach is advised?

Thanks Julian I have tended to stay static because of ageing .ithe biggest fish I have had have come close in on the bank that I was sat on.not trying to teach you Julian but it is an option.here endeth the lesson
Albert:):)

Hi Julian I use a 12ft free spirit rod with 3quivers.i don't use the quiver since I can hook them without.a 9ft 70s Ken smith match leger .the last 4 inches have been broken off with plenty Severn action.8or 10 lb maxima with an easy change hook link.15 mm halibut pellet which you can whittle down meat as a change.the 9 rod is used in certain swims .being short it can be hidden in bright sunshine.i fish the bay malton water at Holmes Chapel but this set is my basic .other anglers would have a different set up.i have had my share of blanks but the challenge is there.good luck.
Albert

In all honesty it never bothered me.i come out to fish full stop.i have had decent fish when it was bombing through .the water never bothered me. It was always good to be on the bank
Albert

Back