• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lure fishing for bass..

Hi Paul,
Hope you are well.

30 yrs ago, (when I was a whipper snapper ;) ) my father used to see shoals of bass boiling on the surface in the Solent as they hammered the joeys.... clearly something not seen in recent years. The bass fishing was, well........spectacular. There are clearly still areas where numbers of fish are still taken, however, I believe most are small, ie, 1lb - 3lb and not the bigger mature fish we used to catch. Until there are sensible controls on commercial angling the decline will continue. It takes bass a long time to grow to maturity and thus breeding capability.

Ian

I really wish a law will be placed on the commercial fishing soon around our shorelines! Maybe they should start taking a leaf out of north america's book on how to control fish populations.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.global-angler.blogspot.com

Had 2 small schoolies from Avon beach on the weekend in muedford! Saw a lunker bust bait on the surface at first light!!

So they are still here!!!

Just wonderd if anyone on here knows if its too early to fish for bass?..sea temps are at 7 o c..ive only had one season fishing for bass and have read that the sea needs to be about 8 o c..:)

Hi Craig, a few have been caught on bait lately up my way (North East Coast) during calmer seas. They are still about......myself i'll be waiting until the back end of April to get my lure rod out!

James

Thanks James..What made me think was an article i was reading earlier which said some of the real big bass are quite solitary and dont move far from where they are in the spring/summer months..im going to give it ago some time in the week..:)

Back