• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lure fishing books

Tom Rendell

Hi Guys,
Im going to get out my lures for a cast, can anyone recommended a good book or link online to lures and when to use them. I bought a baitcaster and multiplier a few years back but due to unconnsistent results the kit goes away for long periods of time. I will be targeting small rivers mainly.
Thanks Tom

Lure Fishing by Charlie Bettall................... brilliant book.

As well as 'The Art of Lure Fishing' that Tom mentioned you may wish to look at 'Modern Lure Fishing' by Barrie Rickards.

Mike

Thanks chaps.
I have a rod and reel combo for wider stretches of the river, to launch med to heavy plugs and spoons but when the river gets alittle narrow (25ft-35ft wide) my 9ft rod and multiplier is a bit big and not so much fun for casting spinners and small/med plugs/spinners targeting jacks and large perch.
So i was wondering if anyone could give a clue as to what length/action type rod and reel i need?
I was looking at some chea bass combos, but although there ideal in there weight casting ratings,there line ratings on both rod and reel are in the 4-8lb range which i think is alittle light?
Thanks again.

Lovely looking rod that, i gonna have a hunt around but will bare this one in mind.
What kind of action does it have? What line/braid would you say gets the best from this rod?
Cheers.

Lovely looking rod that, i gonna have a hunt around but will bare this one in mind.
What kind of action does it have? What line/braid would you say gets the best from this rod?
Cheers.

I've still not used mine due to injury but it looks and feels nice. The rod won the trout n salmon shoot out in 2009 which had a link to the test on the sonic page I linked you too. I have tried to put another link direct to the test http://www.soniksports.com/content/media/TS_SK4_SPIN.pdf

My own lest than scientific test...it does waggle well and seems to stiffen nicely as it bends. Look for one in a local tackle shop and play but Sonic online do offer a 28 day money back guarantee!

Cheers

Adie

Back